Foosball.com Forums

FOOSBALL MATCH table

FOOSBALL MATCH table
« on: July 21, 2007, 08:46:50 AM »
I own a 1970 FOOSBALL MATCH coin operated table.  The table was brought in from Germany by Patterson International Corp.  It has the green field and glass top.  I am looking for a source of spare parts for it.  Does anyone have any ideas about where to find any?

Re: FOOSBALL MATCH table
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:06:31 AM »
how do you know the age I have one in the basement that I am trying to restore my self.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »
These are collectors' items. I recommend removing the original men and bolts and springs and shelving them in a box. Replace with Tournament Soccer men, bolts, and bumper system with washers to use for everyday play. Unfortunately you may have no choice if you want to use the tables because there are no more of the old men left and they are not being produced. Are the rods playable? If not that is a part you can probably find in another brand  that will fit.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
Post Script: this is the table that gave "Foosball" it's name. As advertised in "Life" magazine circa 1960-1970's.

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
Will Duesch Master parts work?  Wern't they pretty much the same?

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
Yes, Ed, Do you have a source? The Patterson men had big ears and little feet with toes that were rounded on the sides. Ball control with the hard "pearl" balls was very difficult and the gamepace was usually nonstop like the traditional European style. The DM men were a lot better for control with improved square sides plus a lot better looking ears!

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
http://www.foosballtablesdirect.com/foosballsupplies.html
scroll about half way down the page

The patterson table we had to play on had men that looked like the red and blue men that TS used in the early days.  They probably had been changed at some point?  So I guess I may not have ever seen the originals.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 12:24:48 PM by EDGEER »

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:34:12 PM »
YEP. Ed, the originals are UGLY. Believe me you would recognize the EARS.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 04:40:52 PM »
Found them at Foosballstore.com. They call them "smile" men. Still ugly though. Looks like these are made form the same mold as orignals.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:42:38 AM »
Does any one have pictures of what the foosball match is supposed to look like? Did the Foosball match also come with the skeleton key because mine has the skeleton key. I do appreciate the information on the men I will be getting a full set so my kids can play the game. Is there any specific type of material over the glass for the ball to stay away from the sides I have a little piece missing from my table.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »
White laminate "Formica" or other brand cut to fit will work. I usually can find enough in a trash can at a cabinet shop to do the white stuff. Keep that key, it is valuable. Interesting to note that Tournament Soccer used  the same locking system on their first tables. If you can get ahold of the original Life magazine through archives or Playmeter or other industry pulblications there are photos of the Patterson machine that changed everything. I grew up in pool hall that had one of these for the price of two dimes. We would get a nickle apiece and play. I first saw this table at the age of 18 months while my Uncle Kenny supervised his busness, The Recreation Inn AKA "the hole" becaus it was in a basement of a large historic buiding in Downtown Rapid City, South Dakota. The year was 1959. The high school kids would put me on a chair and we would play. I was too little to play pool, but I cannot remember ever not playing foos. 48 years ago I started and I'm still having a blast with this crazy game. I know your kids will too.
Happy Foosing,
Oly