Foosball.com Forums

how popular is foosball outside of the USA??

how popular is foosball outside of the USA??
« on: November 25, 2004, 12:53:52 PM »
Just wondering..

What countries is it most played in?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 09:43:58 PM by JimWaterman »

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: how popular is foosball outside of the USA??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 10:12:09 PM »
Just wondering..

What countries is it most played in?

It's extremely popular in Malaysia and Thailand.  I know in Thailand there are foosball halls (like pool halls) with multiple dozens of tables.  Malaysia is home of the "Torpedo" foosball table, which is an exact copy of a Tornado (I understand that it's illegal to sell in the US since it violates a bunch of patents).  I know a Tornado pro who played on one and didn't even notice it wasn't a Tornado for the first couple of hours.

When I was in South America they had tables that sloped down toward midfield; stopping the ball was illegal (basically it was always 1-ball rollerball).  They also had the crazy Futbolin tables with circular feet on the men.  I'd say overall it's less popular there than here, though judging from the turnout at World's the past couple of years Costa Rica has a lot of players--I know they have a Tornado distributor there as of about a year or 18 months ago.

Foos is also played a lot in Morocco (we have a bunch of Moroccan players locally).  No idea what tables they use.

Other places that play: France (Bonzini tables, grippier and slower than Tornado), Belgium (Jupiter tables, grippier than Bonzini), Austria (Garlando/FABI), Italy (Garlando/Fabi), United Kingdom (Garlando/Tornado), Germany (Garlando/Lemacher), and Hungary.  Canada uses Bonzini in Quebec and elsewhere it's Tornado and Garlando.

Lightning

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 08:51:29 AM »
It's really popular in Belgium! We're mostly playing the Jupiter goldstar or starlight. You know, the ones withe the wooden players and cork balls (I think we're the only ones using this material these days?)

But since the beginning of this year's competition, there's a new table... "The Eurosoccer". Just like a tornado it has synthetic players and balls. The constructors tried to make a table which allows the European style of playing as well as the American way.

So in fact now we can play the pin and the pull/push/snake and what have you.  8)

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »
But since the beginning of this year's competition, there's a new table... "The Eurosoccer". Just like a tornado it has synthetic players and balls. The constructors tried to make a table which allows the European style of playing as well as the American way.

I played on one of these at World's last year, but with the crowd around it I only got to play a couple games.  Seemed pretty nice, but it'd take me some time to figure out where I should be setting the balls (forward/back relative to the rod) for good brushes and recoils on push/pull.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 08:53:11 PM »
At this past weekends tournament in Lexington, Kentucky USA... there were 50 Tornado tables for the main tournament... but Alan and Gloria Cribbs had setup a Bonzini (French), Garlando (Italian) and Jupiter (Belgian) table...   These 3 table got A LOT of play over the weekend!   Several top american pro masters played on them quite a bit!   It's really great to the exposure to the "world" of foosball becoming more widespread!   JimW
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 09:18:04 PM by JimWaterman »

FredInShanghai

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 04:17:37 AM »
I am ranked semi pro in Canada and have only played once in the US at Las Vegas in 2004. I am currently living in Shanghai, China.

As already posted, foosball is popular in certain parts of Asia and unknown in others. Singapore Tornado foosball is growing very fast. Going from nowhere to 30 tables in a few months. There is a small but fast growing number of serious players and a full time promoter. I expect foosball to do very well in Singapore. Four million people with the second or third highest per capita income in Asia who really need more fun things to do. They are getting TV coverage there for their launch too. Too bad my ugly mug will be in some of the shots.

Malaysia is where they play the best quality foosball in Asia. "Breakers" in Kuala Lumpur has 18 Tornados, with leagues, tournaments, National Championships and annual Asian Championships. Some of the players won rookie doubles in, I think Vegas, a couple of years ago. Excellent promoter there and a great venue.

United Arab Emirates also has some extremely good players too. They might be ahead of Malaysia but hard to tell. Regular leagues and tournaments and some of their players go to the majors in the US regularly. I have not been there personally, but have heard great things about it.

Japan has a relatively small but growing group of serious players. As they travel to more International events they should continue to improve. Should be competing head to head with Malaysia and UAE in a few more years. I will be there in the next year but have heard that Tornado tables can only be found in Tokyo and Osaka.

Hong Kong only has a couple of places to play but there are some very good players there who are excellent hosts. They would be helped if there were more tables and players there.

Mainland China has two groups promoting foosball. One in southern China who began promoting baby-foot but now also promote Tornado tables. If anyone knows David Song who is the promoter I would really like to get in contact with him.

I have just started promoting Tornado in Shanghai which is China's most international city. I will be trying to promote both to foreigners who already know the game as well as the local Chinese who are football (soccer) mad but new to foos. I have a new Tornado coming in soon to replace a broken down old Tornado that is on its last legs. We will be playing at Malone's American Bar.

Korea has some players desperate for tables but no places to play. A buddy of mine is a Canadian Pro master who is there for a few years and would love a place to play.

If anyone knows any foosballers in Asia I would really appreciate their email addresses so that I can contact them as I travel around Asia quite a bit.

Thanks and good foosing.

PS By the way Hi to Jim Waterman. You very nicley answered a lot of foos questions for me by phone a couple if years ago when I was living in Canada. I appreciate the help.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 06:18:52 PM »
Thanks for the great rundown on some international foos Fred...   thanks for the kind words too... JimW

SuzyFoosy

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 09:35:27 PM »
 FredInShanghai :)

hmm, Maybe I can do something about foosball action in Korea.  I might have to take the 'how to promote foosball 101' from Mr. Jim Waterman.   I am a student in Boston Mass., but my home is Korea.  When I was in college (in Korea), I saw the foosball table, but I didn't play at that time.

I could play some game or two with your foosball friends in Korea in this summer. 

Semi-pro fooser, Victor  is going to Hong Kong this summer as well and I might see him in Hong Kong.

Email me at suzyfoosy@yahoo.com or professorsuzy@hanmail.net

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 01:28:17 AM by SuzyFoosy »

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 01:25:39 PM »
I was in Taiwan.
I play foosball since I was a kid 30 years ago.
We had many places to play foos at that time.
As long as the TV game becoming popular,the table owner sweep them out and change them to TV games.
It is very dififcult to find a place to play foos about these 20 years.
But now we gather a bounch of  foos to promot the sport.
It is the begining,we had our own table(made in china),and try to import another Italian table.
It is kind if Fred got a chance to visit Taiwan we all wellcome him to show the different way to play foos.
I look up from the web and found it quite different the way we play.
If anyone do have the chance to be here please e-mail me so I can arrange a couple of local players to play with him.

Serge

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 03:42:34 AM »
Just an edit on tables in canada...

well tornado is bascially used everywhere in canada except in quebec...sometimes u might see a garlando here and there

however in quebec bonzini is definitely used...BUT MOSTlY garlando RWB (red white and blue)..definitely more widespread table in quebec

schliff

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 06:39:10 AM »
Hi i am from austria!!! and we have from 24th to 31st of july the garlando worlds in austria!!! I hope i will see somebody at this tournament!!!!

bye

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 10:15:40 PM »
Hi Guys I am new to the site and have been playing foos for about 2 years off and on. I consider my self to be at the semi-pro level but am not ramked as I live in a small city in the middle of nowhere. I have played foos in England where it is becoming more popular, but I would have to say that Thunder Bay ON Canada has alot of great talent. We are currently trying to organize a league but hopefully we can start sending a few of the home town down to play some of you guys. I have seen some videos of the worlds and would like to step to the table with anyone remotly close the those guys. If anyone knows any foos tourneys near us let us know.
Aiden

foosfreak75

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 02:09:34 AM »
I am from New Orleans and I started foosing about 10 yrs ago at a killer place called Uncle Larry's in Fat City.  I am stationed in Seoul, South Korea right now and I am dying to find a place to play.  What game I had is going to hell because of Katrina and my duty station outside of the United States.  I would love to hook up with a good player that could show me some things.  Anybody in Korea?

calvink600

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 06:53:39 AM »
I am from New Orleans and I started foosing about 10 yrs ago at a killer place called Uncle Larry's in Fat City.  I am stationed in Seoul, South Korea right now and I am dying to find a place to play.  What game I had is going to hell because of Katrina and my duty station outside of the United States.  I would love to hook up with a good player that could show me some things.  Anybody in Korea?

I have been wondering if there was a place to play in Korea also. If anyone has some info, I'd be grateful.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 11:00:08 AM »
It's really popular in Belgium! We're mostly playing the Jupiter goldstar or starlight. You know, the ones withe the wooden players and cork balls (I think we're the only ones using this material these days?)

So in fact now we can play the pin and the pull/push/snake and what have you.  8)

I'm from Belgium too. But I don't like the "Eurosoccer". Just give me the wooden players and I'm happy. On the other hand, respect to all the players who can control a ball on this slippery tables.