Foosball.com Forums

BACK PIN RULES

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
BACK PIN RULES
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »
I posted on another thread about providing information on the back pin....below is the outline of what I have written so far in my exchanges with a player in Taiwan...

THE RELEASE (and Stubbing)

Ball Position/Ball Control

Practicing the Release

LATERAL SPEED

MISDIRECTION

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: BACK PIN RULES
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:19:36 AM »
here is the first section to help see the interest level...

THE RELEASE (and Stubbing)
Over and Down
Why are you stubbing the ball?  Well, the bottom line is because the ball hasn't moved forward far enough for you to hit the ball without it stubbing.  So, the question is, "How do you move the ball out from under the pin far enough to hit the ball smoothly?"  Well this is hard to write, but when you start the lateral movement to shoot the ball, you can draw(we will use pull for illustration) the man across the top of the ball exactly flat (parallel) in which case the ball will be in the same position and so you will stub...You can pull and lift but again, if the man stays parallel with the original pin position  you will stub the ball.  So, the key is to pull not just laterally, but down just a little...it is a very subtle movement once you get it down.  You can not  it, but obviously this is what happens or the ball would stub. 
Tell me if this makes sense...over and down...but it only takes the slightest motion down to accomplish what you want.

In the beginning you will probably exaggerate the move but you need to think of pulling laterally and down at the same time and then lifting your man for the backswing part of the stroke...eventually, you will not be able to see the downward move or the back swing of the man...my wrists are good enough to get power without much back swing...I can literally hover over the ball and only stroke down and get as much power as most people do with the a high back swing...this isn't essential but it is a nice benefit

here is another way to think about it...think of the shot like you are going to do a brush pass...this is one of the significant advantages to the pin...think if you could pin the ball on the 5 and pass with the same man and do a brush...you would roll the man across the top of the ball and down sliding the ball into position to do a brush move...in this way, you can control the ball, angle it as much as you want, and move out from the pin position within about a 1/2 inch...this is essentially the stroke for the long, but you don't do the down move as much...more over before down