Foosball.com Forums

Shelti Pro Foos III

Shelti Pro Foos III
« on: April 08, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
Hello everyone. 

I am a former college player and I am finishing my basement to use as a rec room for myself and my kids (ages 6 and 3) and other family members who are also former casual college players. 

My wife and I settled on getting a foosball table and we were looking to get one that was of good quality that would last as the kids got older and their friends came over to play.  My wife barely played and I want something that she can learn on, the kids can learn on(when a little older), but that would not be a toy for me.  A T-2000 is a bit overkill for us as there are no tournament players in our family.

Shelti was not around when I was in college, but they seem like a pretty good brand.  The Pro Foos III interested me as I liked the idea of the split cabinet with young kids because I find toys in the strangest of places sometimes and easy access to them would be a plus.  The table also seemed to have bigger men for a little more control which would seem appropriate for younger and casual players.   

I have not found any reviews of the Pro Foos III online and wanted to know if anyone played on them and what they thought about the table for our needs.

Any help from the experts on this site would be appreciated.

ClearScreen

Re: Shelti Pro Foos III
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:39:58 PM »
my company uses a Shelti Pro Foos II and its a solid table, able to withstand the "abuses" of regular corporate world.  You will not regret getting a Pro Foos III.  But being so close in price/weight/class to the Tornado coin-op, why not just get the Tornado?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:57:54 PM by redterror »

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
Thanks for the response. 

Two reasons (they may not be valid) why I was not going for a T-2000:

1.  Speed/control of the game - I was looking for a little slower/more controlled game for my wife and kids without sacrificing quality.

2.  Price - I have convinced my wife to let me spend around $1400-1500.  I have found the Pro Foos III listed for that range.  I have not found a new T-2000 for under $1600.  If I am wrong about that, let me know.

Also, I have been reading the forums and there have been a lot of people complaining about the decline in quality of Tornado tables over the past few years.  I take those with a grain of salt as many of the complaints from expert players would not even be noticed by me.  Just some thoughts. 

Thanks again.

Offline georgefoos

• Super Foos
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »
Shelti Pro Foos III it's just like Tornado T-2000, the quality is almost the same , T-2000 still made in USA (please anyone tell me I was wrong), for resell value, you should still get a Tornado T-2000. They use them for US open.

Check out my Table http://foosball.vb1.org , Used but like new for under $1000.

I got my at the dealer, local pick up. Love it.

Play and Feels like a Pro.

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
ClearScreen,

First let me say that you won't go wrong with the Shelti table.  Quality built and plays great.  

But, you could get a Tornado that is Tournament used for a great price.  Tournament used tables are great for a number of reasons.

They have already been set-up at least once and played on by the MOST demanding customers around (tournament players) and should have no real issues with the quality (usually fixed by the set-up crew prior to and during the tournament.)

They are significantly cheaper than a new table

Depending on your location, you may be able to pick it up after a tournament (if there happens to be one near you).

When they finish with the tables for the tournament, they pack them back into the original boxes to ship it to you.

I know their will be tables available after the weekend of April 19th (1 1/2 weeks away)

As to the more controlled part of the game you expressed concern about, that can be remedied with a ball made of a softer compound.  Maybe get a couple of different balls and see what works best for your family.  The Tornado ball is nice (but a little hard to control for new and recreational players.  You could try the new plastic Bonzini ball, softer compound makes it grippier and it stays round (unlike the older cork balls).  And I could be wrong, but I think Shelti makes a softer ball as well (same size as the Tornado ball if I am not mistaken).

Oh, and the Tornado table will hold a decent resale value if you need to unload it down the road.

If you need more information, you could try to PM Jim Waterman (on this site) as he is very knowledgable regarding Shelti AND Tornado tables.

Pat Ryan

Thanks for the response. 

Two reasons (they may not be valid) why I was not going for a T-2000:

1.  Speed/control of the game - I was looking for a little slower/more controlled game for my wife and kids without sacrificing quality.

2.  Price - I have convinced my wife to let me spend around $1400-1500.  I have found the Pro Foos III listed for that range.  I have not found a new T-2000 for under $1600.  If I am wrong about that, let me know.

Also, I have been reading the forums and there have been a lot of people complaining about the decline in quality of Tornado tables over the past few years.  I take those with a grain of salt as many of the complaints from expert players would not even be noticed by me.  Just some thoughts. 

Thanks again.

Offline georgefoos

• Super Foos
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »
Check out Forums about:   
Re: Tournament Tables are the coin op model? how does it play/serve?
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:05:34 AM »
Mary's selling 12 tables at US Open ,1st come 1st serve
there is a discount if you buy 2 or more,
contact mary at ifpfoos@alltel.net

Offline georgefoos

• Super Foos
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:35:35 PM »

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »
taking table orders for the US OPEN
http://foosballboard.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7508&sid=fe9c9f4320f213056cc5ccd76607d857

Tables are going fast so to be fare I (Mary Moore) am selling them first come, Reserve your table today. Give me an email or a call, thanks

Brand New one time tournament play $1175 - should be F5, just ask Mary
last years addition great condition $1000 - should be Grey Marble
2006 model great condition $900 - should be older Grey Marble

859-268-8502 (Mary Moore)

get the brand new metal wrapped F5 coin-op for $1175 (plus pick up or shipping)...total no-brainer I don't care how good Shelti is

Mary runs all but 2 tournaments and is 100% honest and reliable (over a quarter million dollars worth of prize money a year which in foos is very very big)

if you want more control for learning, just buy some yellow Dynamo balls seperately, they are much softer and will be slower and provide the control you want until they are ready to graduate to a big boy ball

http://foosdirect-store.stores.yahoo.net/fts-110-363.html

if this isn't sticky or slow enough, there are other options

Tornado is looking at softening their ball a little so hopefully you will have another option soon

good foosin and enjoy

Offline georgefoos

• Super Foos
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
Boy, I should have waited and get the F5 Coin-Op; this is a great deal.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
the ebay listing is NOT a good deal

- that is not a coin-op
- it is a Cherry Wood pictured and those haven't been made since 2002 (so this is left over stock)
- 3 tables have come out since then
- I bought the same table shipped for just under $1200 in 03 when I didn't know any better
- this is actually someone trying to find a sucker

Offline noops

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:00:57 PM »
Can someone explain to me some table differences?

I ordered a new coinop this year.  And it looks and plays just like the grey marble table that I had last, but has the "faux" brushed metal sides.  Is this an f5 coinop?   I looks/plays/works just like the age old Tournament.  But the post above says "Brand New one time tournament play $1175 - should be F5, just ask Mary"

So, um, do I have a standard coinop or the new f5, and what have they changed?

Offline noops

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »
Never mind above.  I guess the newer tourney tables are the same as mine (except I didn't get the lamer little badges).  Are they building an F5 coinop?

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
yes, or at least the brushed metal coin-op I think is called an F5 even though there is a big difference between the home model and the coin-op where in the past, the T2000 split top "home" model was exactly the same as the coin-op minus the coin mechanism, I know I own one

if you got the brushed metal coin-op u are rockin

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »
But beware when buying one of the new tables!
They have some issues that can make them almost unbearable to play on.
Most have warped playing surfaces and bumper/bearing issues.
They're also suppose to have heat treated rods but I've found that many don't have them and Tornado won't replace them. But you can buy them for a premium price.
And even the one's that are suppose to have them on the two and three rods sometimes don't have them.
So it's a crap shoot with them.

BBTuna is right. Your best bet for the money, the quality, the resale value and all around "grow with you ability"
would be to buy one of Mary's tables. They're professionally maintained (as they have to be to be used on the professional level) and are always in tip top shape.
So you know exactly what your getting.

And as far as controlability, using a different ball is the way to go and as you get better, you can always change to a different ball. Which would be MUCH cheaper than having to buy a whole new table once you've out grown (and out played) the Shelti.