Foosball.com Forums

What table did you first play on and when?

Offline foosinaround69

• No garder snakeshot here, just the AnacondaBackpin
What table did you first play on and when?
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:05:50 AM »
I know this thread has been done before but there new people here today.

I started playing on a Dynamo in 1980 at a local pool hall. I "SUCKED" :'(
I remember getting so frustrated cause I couldn't stop anyone doing anything..
The ball moved too fast at the time and I would get my butt handed to me. As most of us I started at goalie and nobody wanted me on their team cause I couldn't block a thing(still can't..that's why I'm a forward now...lol) Then I said enough is enough and I practiced more than anybody and started to get some ball control and before you know it I was pretty good....Then a Tornado was put in the pool hall after a few yrs and my game...well...changed!!! I do mean changed..I had to learn to do things a little different. My passing was always good but my shot had to be changed cause of the foot of the man. I could not for the life of me do a pull at first or a pull kick or the easy banks I did on a Dynamo. Man I miss playing on that table..other than the ball...I hated it..I always chipped it with my shot then the ball didn't roll right and how much fun is that?

Offline Will17

Re: What table did you first play on and when?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:42:09 AM »
My family moved to Germany when I was 7 and bought me a table right when we moved there because all the kids were playing foosball. When I was about 11 we used to go to the outdoor pool that had an arcade with some tables and I would play against the other kids and got really good at the time. I am not sure which table it was as I didn't really think about the differences. My family went to Austria for christmas one time and I played in a tournament there, I made it to the finals and got smoked by someone that really knew what they were doing. After moving back to Canada I think I was about 13 I didn't play much, but whenever I did I would absolutely roll everyone I played until I was at a bar after I was 18 and played some good players on a tornado (which I wasn't used to at all, a lot more control and slower game on other tables I played on). It didn't take any time for me to adjust really though. I learned a lot playing with experienced players. I'm in my first real organized tournament this weekend. Can anyone tell me      what type of table I played on there? The ball moved way slower, but the tables were good firm coin ops. The rods didn't come out the opposite side of the table either.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
Sounds like a Bonzini with the exception of good and firm,lol.

ICEMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:39:24 AM »
'68 I played on Italian tables that were hard and slick. Then in '72 we had Deutcher Meisters, I still miss those tables, all control. Around '74 I played on what I think was a Dynamo, maybe some of you could tell me. It seems it had a textured surface. It was fast and good ball control but it quickly gave way to TS green tops, then the blue top and then the brown. I remember one table in the seventies that had a foot that was molded to look like two cubes together so that all the surfaces were square. When ever you played on one of these tables it seemed the men were loose which allowed for a really different style of play. I went to the Quad cities (Iowa) to check out the foos scene and ran into this black kid who had the most unusual style and it was on this type of table. He played this 1/3 speed incredibly smooth non-stop movement, total control game and picked apart defenses with timing. It was a real lesson, worth the trip  for that alone. When ever I do an off speed dink I think of how he executed his shots and try to emulate him.

Offline marty

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
i started playing on a deutcher meisters around 78 then around 79 we got a t.s brown top some time you would half to wate a hour before
your qurters where up and then ya better win to hold the table oh those where the days

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:41:41 AM »
I played at this christian neighborhood community center in Kansas.  Danny, a van driver used to come pick us up, so we called the place Danny's.  Anyho, was too young to even remember (or care about) to look at the manufacturer of the table.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:43:14 AM by redterror »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:26:17 PM »
very first time I played would have probably been 75 at a college I was visiting a friend at (Trinity north of Chicago)...anyway, I have no idea what the table was but I was hooked from that time on

first table I knew I was playing on was the TS green top

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
Started in 1975 on Deutcher Meisters, then TS Greens Blues and Browns.  Bought a Dynamo and played in Tornado Tournament arround 77'.  Saw Wiswell win a Championship ring one year at the Tornado Shelter.  Also played on Challenger.

Offline Steve

• Showdown
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »
I started on green then blue and ended on brown, Hall of Fame in Lansing .I got beat by two guys that LOL after every shot I played every chance I could till I could beat them with my eyes closed .I hate to loose to A...holes.
Sorry

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »
Right on Marty! Happiness was 8 quarters on the table and you were hot. Reminds me of the Pines Ballroom when a Led Zepplin copy band ,"Cain', played. The attached bar had a Deutcher Meister table and if you didn't win it could be an hour before you could play again. I once had some guys tell me if I won one more time I'd get my ass kicked. It seemed safer on the table so I shined them on.

Offline wildcard

• Bing-Bing-BING-G-G-G-G! Ricochet Rabbit!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:03:48 PM »
1977 glasstop tornado at the local gameroom, then at UMSL the greentop, bluetop and browntopTS, I was the most formidable on the browntopTS since I had a lightning pullkick series that mixed in stopped angles and offspeed pull dinks, and do chip angles and banks both directions from any man on the 3row. Lost all those tricky shots when Tornado came into favor in St Louis, now I do a little of all shots, master of none. BUT you never know what Im gonna pull out next, eventually something in my repertoire will get just about anybody given enough time to try them all out. Thats why Fooser Gump named me Wildcard.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 07:37:26 AM »
Is that table really called "Deutcher Meister"? The spelling should be "Deutscher", and we have a table by that name in Germany. Or is it an American table that simply uses a similar name?

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 07:54:52 AM »
You're probably right, I'm not sure.

Offline marty

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
no the deutscher meister where talking about came from germany
i just can'nt spell , it was a good table back then not sure how there
built today , i see you can still get them new for around $ 1900 us +
shipping . thompson sporting goods then ya got to have your order in
by a certin month for they only order once a year from germany i think
for me if i was going to shell out that type of money it would be a bonzni
not sure on the spelling

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »
The mystery's unraveled: It's the German "Deutscher Meister" (by the way, that means "German Champion") which is still available, but is considered outdated by the foosing community.