Foosball.com Forums

Buying a Used Table

Buying a Used Table
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
I posted this in the questions forum but it seems pretty dead to me and everyone else seems to be posting their questions here.

Anyway, I've been looking everywhere for a good deal on a Tornado table, and I finally found a listing on craigslist for a "like-new" Storm II table for $450. I'm very tight on cash so I don't want to impulsively buy this table and then find out that it's in really bad shape. I'm not too concerned about the cheaper, easily replaceable parts, but I am worried about the rods and the playfield.

What are the most important things I should check/questions I should ask before I decide to buy this table?

Offline Welch

Re: Buying a Used Table
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »
if your serious about improving your game nothing is better than a coin op table. call on this one i found on craigslist
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:24:12 AM by Arthur »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »
$600 for a 4 year old coin-op is a REALLY good price

there are some threads with table buying information I will look for later if this doesn't meet your need but you would be a fool not to buy a mint condition 4 year old coin op for $600...that is the best deal on a coin op I have seen (considering age and condition) and I have followed table sales for the last 3 years

is it a Grey Marble or a Rosewood, I didn't notice?

Offline Welch

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »
i have no idea. im not even 100% on if its a coin op thats why i told him to call.  but im guessing 4 years ago for 1200 dollars if he bought it at central distributing it would pry be a rosewood, but if its a grey marble thats pry the best deal you're gonna find anywhere cause i paid 1400 for mine last year

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »
Well I'd probably have to pay around $150 to ship that from Nebraska to PA, and I'm really not too keen on that. Secondly, is it not possible to improve my game on a Storm table? The only difference in terms of play is the weight of the rods, correct? And that seems like something that would only bother a pro. As I said, I'm really tight on cash, so unless I can find a cheaper coin-op, I'm going to have to stick with the Storm.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
Pierce, I hear you brother. I felt the same way. But they are right. The Storm has the smaller rods and non-weighted men if I'm correct. It's a different animal. If you want to get "good" and play and beat other good players, you're not going to get there with the Storm. I went so far as to add 1/4lb of lead wire to the rods on the Whirlwind I had but it still didn't play right or feel right. That is not a bad deal, on that table, even with the shipping. 2 tables in my area (NW) were gone in a single day for $800 each and they came out of bars with hard use, and that is the going rate.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »
okay, you can learn on any table

big difference between a storm and a coin-op

we don't know if this is a coin-op on Craigs list

you can find older coin-ops in your price range if you take your time

best deal I have ever seen, and I messed up on buying it or I could tell you it was the best deal ever and I got it...anyway, someone just got a coin-op Brown Marble, good condition (relative to age) for $250 in my area...dont' ask, I was planning on buying it, I love the Brown Marble, it was on eBay, I had my plan, and then, last min, I forgot and I could kick myself

anyway, there are other options, you should be able to get a Brown Marble or Blonde CnOp for your price range plus shipping

dont' buy a storm...I haven't had time to find the link(s) to this table thing but I will, hang in there and collectively we will get you a table you can be proud of, learn on, grow with, and last forever...its hard but it can be done if you are patient

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »
Alright, you have me sold on the coin op. If the feel really is that different then I suppose it would be worth it...but I'm holding out until I find a cheap one.

I've got all the craigslist cities in my area on RSS feeds for "foosball" so if something comes up I'll definitely see it. Now my question is, how many different makes of the coin-op are there (you were mentioning the Marble and the Blonde), and in the case that I find one, what should I ask about it or check on it to make sure it is worth the money.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
any coin op tornado is worth $700-$800 (although you can find them cheaper at times) as long as the play field isn't warped or the goal edges totally blown out.
a brown marble from the early 90's will outlast any table, even one made today. the more recent tables will play more like any tables your likely to see at any kind of tournament.

if i didn't care to much about tournaments and wanted the absolute best bang for my $ i would go with a brown marble.
if you want something more like what your likely to play on at a tournament get a Blonde or gray marble.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »
probably too much info but some good stuff here...the latest Tornado coin-op is the F5 and if you could get a tournament used one from Mary Moore it would be a great table because fixes have been made

tables in order oldest to newest
Brown Marble
Blonde
Rosewood
30th Annisersary- grey marble
Grey Marble (non-Ann edition) plays different...later models were the best
F5 only get tournament used from Mary Moore if you buy this table...not many left
Tornado is coming out with 2 new competition tables with some big changes as far as how the table plays but if you aren't buying the latest, you don't need to know but this is just a heads up

New table coming new company will play a lot like the newest Tornado models to come out Warrior...look for more end of July but you can find some video on this site too if you are interested

http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1396.30

http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1335.0

http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1364.0

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »
I appreciate the advice guys. If you find any good deals, give me a heads up.

Thanks

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »
will do, I always have my eye on eBay...you will need to follow Craigs list because it is regional but if you find a Tornado coin op and want some opinion and help figuring out whats what, I am willing to help

here is some video on the new table coming

first, Fernado DaRosa, high ranking pro master from CA, reviewing the Warrior prototype and answering questions...the first table coming (supposed to be here end of July) is the top "home" model and not a coin op and weighs a lot less than Tornado but the engineering makes it just as or more sturdy than the heavier Tornado

People are waiting for big KY tournament debute to see if the production model is just as good...basically same demensions as Torando and very similiar play style as the Tor with the Prototype...could be very exciting for foosball if the owner comes through with all his plans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1wOoNR2-RM&feature=related

Then, DaRosa and Trevor Park (and others) playing for braggin rights on the prototype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML0D5-P83A0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON_cJZOhRdc

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »
I think I've made a good find:

It's about a 150 mile drive from me, but a couple friends are willing to take a road trip with me up there. I hope it's as nice as it looks in the pictures, because I don't want to waste 300 miles of driving on a busted up table.

What questions should I ask before I go to buy it?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:24:37 AM by Arthur »

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
What you should ask is,"Can you help us load it into the truck?";)

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
okay $500 is pushing top dollar for Brown Top - still reasonable deal but you want to be sure of some things and try and get a few things

[size=12
pt]Essential[/size]

Table Surface:  is the table playing surface in good shape - if you have to replace that a new one is $150

Rods - condisdering the age of the table, and from the pictures, it looks like the rods may not be great - ask them straight out and in clear words and wait until you get a clear respons - are any of the rods bent, if so how many? are any of the rods that are not bent rusted or need replacing for any reason (chipping, surface wear, etc) - this is a place to negociate, for every rod that needs replacing tell them that is $35 you have to pay so it comes off the price
Rod are expensive, but you will likely, with a table that old, want to change out the 2 and 3 rods with Heat-treated Rods - call me for more detail

Men - are all men in good shape - not just cracks, but is the face of the mans foot still got good tread compared to a new man...the face can be worn down, I have done it...men are about $5 each so figure this in...ask them to give you the men to replace them and see if you can get 2 of each color back up ($20 worth of men)

Bearings - are any in terrible shape and need replacing - we can talk more about bearings later, there is a good thread just started