Foosball.com Forums

Dynamo ball size

Dynamo ball size
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »
Hi foosers,

does anyone know the Dynamo ball's diameter? I've found one website where it says that it's 34mm, which would be 1mm smaller than the T-ball. Is that true?

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: Dynamo ball size
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »
i have both at home and my friends and I have played with both and if there is a difference, none of us can tell (size wise I mean)

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »
i have both at home and my friends and I have played with both and if there is a difference, none of us can tell (size wise I mean) 

Dunno how scientific it would be, but, if one ball is really slightly larger than the other, you should be able to test by:

Pin one of your balls while grasping your rod, and move your ball side to side, faster and faster.  If your balls are different sized, then the smaller one will accelerate faster and you should feel more resistance while you stroke your rod, as if the weight was increasing. This should prove that size really does matter when you're trying to control your balls.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:38:39 AM »
You sound like a woman.... SIZE DOES MATTER WHEN CONTROLLING YOUR BALLS!

Just kidding obviously.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »
Well, Tuna, would you mind measuring the balls using a caliper? That would be great...

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »
saturday is foos part at Justin's and he has a caliper so we will measure then but I am telling you, even if they prove out to have a difference, there is no impact on play based on their width...they play different but it is the material and surface and I would be willing to bet that the Dynamo balls weighs a little more

i have been using 6 Dynamo balls for as many weeks now and it is overall a better ball in my opinion...it starts with much more control and looses its brushed surface much slower than the Tornado ball

however, now that they are well worn in, the different between the D and T as well worn balls is pretty small...the D still has a little more control but again the difference is slight

however, for tournament play, the D would be better becasue they would make the entire weekend without loosing much of its original play where as the current T ball (not the new up and coming T ball since they have settled on that and I haven't evaluated anything) looses its fuzz usually within the first day*

*for those who don't know, the fuzz doesn't come off the ball, that is why you never see little red particles on the table, the fuzz is really a nap and with play the nap is packed back down on the ball...that is why you can clean and refuzz them without loosing any size...there are several long threads/articles on this subject on the other board
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:19:29 PM by bbtuna »

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:38:02 AM »
saturday is foos part at Justin's and he has a caliper so we will measure then

Awesome, thank you!

but I am telling you, even if they prove out to have a difference, there is no impact on play based on their width...

There are tables on which a smaller ball can't be blocked properly if it's rolling behind the goalie. Blocking wall passes also feels different.

Thanks for all the information!

Cheerz

Pat

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
*for those who don't know, the fuzz doesn't come off the ball, that is why you never see little red particles on the table, the fuzz is really a nap and with play the nap is packed back down on the ball...that is why you can clean and refuzz them without loosing any size...there are several long threads/articles on this subject on the other board

This is great!  So bbtuna's saying that new T balls go from a Sam-Malone-Cheers hairdo to a Dr-Becker type 'do, as they get played ?  But reversible!  That's a pretty slick design.

saturday is foos part at Justin's and he has a caliper so we will measure then but I am telling you, .......

And now a bunch of guys at a foos party are going to use a caliper to measure their nappy balls.  This can only get better!

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 01:00:17 PM »
its amazing what a little sandpaper will do to your balls

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Are you planning on sandpapering your balls at my foos party on satuday?  Sounds like an interesting saturday evening.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »
you wish big boy...Chris and I are going to put our balls together and them fuzzed for us - besides, I am not into the "group" thing

I do hope you have some of your famous micro-brew Shreck beer; especially that one you let me taste at Steve’s a couple of weeks ago

Someone has got to bring some Chartreuse too, I bought 2, you bought 1, and Kevin got the last one…who is going to lay out the $50 green for the killa green juice?  CHARFOOS

And I am going to have to make sure Tom comes and brings the Mason jar of White Lightening

Last, don’t invite the budding rock group again, they stole all the attention with their killer licks and totally rad vocals not to mention being cutting edge foosers stealing all the table time
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:25:19 PM by bbtuna »

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »
And now a bunch of guys at a foos party are going to use a caliper to measure their nappy balls. This can only get better!

It's all about having fun, isn't it? I can assure you, once you've tried it, you'll never leave your house without a caliper again...

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
EDIT: ----Joking Comment Removed----

Back onto topic though.  We measured a Tornado ball and a Dynamo ball.  The battery in my caliper was dying, and I managed to get a good reading on the Tornado ball as 34.75 mm.  The battery was just too far gone by the time of the party for me to get a good reading on the Dynamo ball, but we set the caliper to the size of the tornado ball, and fit the Dynamo ball in it, and they are the same size. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:57:57 PM by BigJBrewGuy »

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 03:17:56 PM »
Just to clarify, nobody actually took the caliper.  I was just trying to make it clear how much fun some people had measuring their balls.  I was only trying to imply that people had enough fun doing it, that they would want to do it at home by themselves.  I thought it was kind of a funny way of putting it, and by no means meant to dis-credit the character of those at the party.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:49:12 PM by BigJBrewGuy »

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »
it was a good time, BigJBrewGuy drinking from his "yard glass" with his own homemade beer (which is really good by the way), Tanqueray Gin (well for me), and of course shots of Chartreuse and throw in a little foosball and authentic burritos at 2:30 in the morning from the 24 hour mexican resturant down the street and you have yourself the best side of foosball