Foosball.com Forums

« on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:18:36 AM by Snake Shot Blows »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: 2008 Worlds Results
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
i have heard about the good ole days when foosball was played like it should be...you know, back in the day when men were men and sheep were scared

the historical play being highlighted by the world class jarring and 30 seconds to get a pull shot set up in position (more or less) and of course the vast variety of shots...lets see, there was a long pull shot and then there was the pull shot long and the long long pull shot and then the pull shot shot long and the shot long pull and then there was the cutting edge rolling pull almost adopted by more than one player...man, those were the days

dang, okay, I was exaggerating, there were 3 pullkickers, and 4 pushkickers too, sorry my bad

and the goalie offense was so much better with all those totally random open-handed wall slam hit-and-hope slop shots...what did they call those, oh yea, "Bank Shots"

you were around back then, had they invented cars yet because I know they hadn't discovered defense especially on the 5 bar...there were five men on the middle rod back then wasn't there?  It was so much more sophisticated when they had the stopped ball pass, I wonder whatever made them give that up?

wow, what an inspiration for the younger generation, maybe someday these no talent looser players today will learn how to play the game right like they did when you were a kid back in the days just after dirt was discovered and then these fiveman-guessin-blind-shot-shootin players today will drive fear back into sheep everywhere
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:20:11 PM by bbtuna »

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:11:48 PM »
LMFAO Tuna. Kids these days just hit it and hope. I get the feeling this guy went to a local draw and got owned by a rookie w/ a weak snake shot cuz he couldn't figure out if he was going straight, push or pull.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 03:32:16 AM »
i have heard about the good ole days when foosball was played like it should be...you know, back in the day when men were men and sheep were scared
wow, what an inspiration for the younger generation, maybe someday these no talent looser players today will learn how to play the game right like they did when you were a kid back in the days just after dirt was discovered and then these fiveman-guessin-blind-shot-shootin players today will drive fear back into sheep everywhere

bbt,
I agree, and actually think the younger gen XYZ really don't draw upon the older generation for much inspiration.  Because foosball in the 70's and 80's was so regional, with their own heroes and "unbelievable" players, then got a little slow as the American game turned into a power game with set shots to quiet the butterflies when "money" matches were played, it was really an underground hobby.

But the fancier looking snakes, with motions and feints to match even the Euro style game, PLUS the booming power of the snake's half palmroll, really took over.  Foos became more visible as the 90's rolled through, with TV and videos and early proponents like Terry and Rob Mares, and switchhitting Tommy who switched between a quickset pull and snake.  Then Rico came over to dominate more and more, just as Tony S came in to elevate tic tac razzle dazzle to new heights.

So the genXYZ's really have nothing to compare the new game today to, with its flashier but just as controlled monster snakes to hit all 5 lanes, much better zones and defenses against same, and against passing, especially 5bar D.  Even old vids of ye olde heroes are highly unimpressive... Simple nearside ups or downs, then 14 second pull shots.  Even today's rookies have much fancier 5bar and rollover series, much more fun to watch.  So I agree with your vein of thought.

Those oldtimers who don't enjoy today's game, who don't try to keep learning and adjusting... and resent it... well, they're the same as horsedrawn carriage craftsmen, or the old bowling alley pinsetters... they don't matter anymore.