Foosball.com Forums

2009 USA World Cup Team Announcement

Offline alaris

Re: 2009 USA World Cup Team Announcement
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »
Hi Iceman,

I met you at that Bonzini World Tournament. I agree with you about how foos is there. It was refreshing to see how many young players they have. It was a blast and I wanted to stay longer! Hope to see you there again next year.

Rebecca
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:49:30 PM by alaris »

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 11:54:50 PM »
Well, here is an interesting question to pose. Do you think one of the downturns of foosball in america is the availability of tables in bar scenes.

The closest bar "scene" with a table to my current location is in the Quad Cities (home of Tom Rios... who knows who else, haven't gone up there to play). Aside from that location, the only foosball scenes I can track down in a reasonable distance are St. Louis (went to Am. Heart Ass. tournament, but couldn't go to MO State b/c of work conflict), and Chicago. I think one of the more prevalent problems with american foosball is the fact that bars would rather invest in a pool table than foosball tables, where as most european bars seem a bit smaller, and can handle the foosball scene with more ease in small towns. That's just my two cents though.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 02:45:35 AM »
Hey what's up Rebecca, how are you? Yeah, hope to see you over there again in May. Who knows, one of these days maybe I will pop up in your neck of the woods to play a tourney some day.

About the downturn of American foosball, it rest solely with the LACK OF PROMOTION not the availability of tables. Plain and simple.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 05:39:29 AM »
About the downturn of American foosball, it rest solely with the LACK OF PROMOTION not the availability of tables. Plain and simple.

Now here I am ABSOLUTELY in agreement with Gita...  That is the downfall of American foosball.  At least on the Valley-Tornado side.  Just looking at what Alan Cribbs and Bonzini USA have done is enough to make you cringe at how horrible a promotion job Valley did with 10 years with Tornado.  No corporate or regional sponsors, no tie-ins with any kind of national associations.  It seems they concentrated on homologation and acceptance to the ITSF of the Tornado table.  They went from 5 major national events to two.  Good thing competition burns those who sit on their laurels.  Now Mary Moore's IFP with Brendan's table have more and more events and super-regionals plus the Atlanta US Open.  The new Valley-Dynamo-Tornado entity is now Brunswick, so perhaps they won't neglect it this time, declaring they are adding more major events.  That may help Charlie Macintosh and the eastern seaboard foosers, which it seems are sticking with the new Tornados.