Foosball.com Forums

Left brain-right brain

Left brain-right brain
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »
Did you ever(I know you did)have one of those nights where it all seemed effortless and you were smoking by everyone's account? That's what the left brain will do for you if the right brain doesn't get in the way. That right brain is really good at figuring things out like stategy and nuances of your opponent but when it comes down to the actual execution, the right brain sucks. It's called tentative when the right brain takes over. Too careful, every move is thought out, not smooth, not muscle memory. How sweet would it be to have a handle on it and a trigger to bring on the left brain without hinderance and let the right brain do it's thing of over seeing at a distance. Have any of you delved into this part of the game?

Offline Brandon225

• Up'n coming has-been
Re: Left brain-right brain
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
If you havent already,read The Inner Game of Tennis by Tim Gallwey.

Excellent book.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 12:02:33 AM »
Did you ever(I know you did)have one of those nights where it all seemed effortless and you were smoking by everyone's account? That's what the left brain will do for you if the right brain doesn't get in the way. That right brain is really good at figuring things out like stategy and nuances of your opponent but when it comes down to the actual execution, the right brain sucks. It's called tentative when the right brain takes over. Too careful, every move is thought out, not smooth, not muscle memory. How sweet would it be to have a handle on it and a trigger to bring on the left brain without hinderance and let the right brain do it's thing of over seeing at a distance. Have any of you delved into this part of the game?

Ole Misty,

Your reflection reminds of an old story:

The left side and right side of the brain were having an argument as to who should be more in control, and the eyes overheard them.  The eyes asked why THEY couldn't be the boss, since they showed the way to anywhere the body went, they allowed enjoyment of sports and entertainment, and allowed the convenience of knowing where the body was at any time.  At this point the ears perked up and said they should be boss because they were needed to hear, allowed music to be enjoyed, and alarms to be heard.  The rest of the body joined in, all wanting to be boss:

The mouth said it allowed the brains to talk to people, and without it to eat with, the body would starve; the hands said they qualified because they made it possible to put on clothes, operate a car, open doors; the legs said they were vital and should be boss, because otherwise the body couldn't really go anywhere, especially when running away from nasty things!

At this point the asshole piped up, saying it wanted to be boss, too!  The whole body suddenly paused and all the parts just laughed and laughed at the asshole, who was so mortified and just completely shut up.

Three days later, the whole brain was addled, the eyes were blurry, and the ears were ringing.  The hands couldn't stop shaking, and the mouth just couldn't stop drooling, with all its teeth loosened, and the legs were so wobbly they couldn't stand up.  Finally they all agreed and pleaded for the asshole to be the boss.

I guess the moral is, you don't have to be the brains or do anything to be the boss, just an ASSHOLE.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »
Check this out to determine which half is your dominant half.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22492511-5005375,00.html

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:51:13 AM »
I am 50/50   :o
WTF

Sounds like perfect balance, for the queen of razor pullshots. Figgers...

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:59:43 AM »

Lol, according to that I was wrong about what each side does, I wondered about that. I did see it as clockwise though. For the 25+ years that I didn't play foosball I got into competitive achery. This is where I first learned about the differences in people and how they aimed. While I called it conscious vs subconscious, it was the same as what we are talking about. In archery I found that to execute the shot without interruption ln my form that I should give a task to my conscious mind that was easy. For me it was to touch my finger of my release hand to the top of my shouder on the followthrough. As long as I kept that thought, the whole shot went smoothly. When I played in the 70's my game was one of constant motion. Back pins, front pins, dancing the ball and tic tacs. Everything plus the kitchen sink. But then I got schooled by tournament players who played the deliberate game of setting up shots, how I hated that as I didn't want to play that way but there it was, an uncomfortable truth. While it was uncomfortable for a "right-brainer" to learn that style it actually allowed my old game to shine whenever it was called on, as in scrambles. 

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »
I see her switching back and forth between clockwise, then counter clockwise. Then for some reason, she just stops, puts her clothes back on and storms off! :(

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
Shelly, how can you be 50/50?  Does that mean she was standing still?  LOL 

As much as I squinted and tried to sneak up on it, I couldn't for anything make that chick go anti-clockwise!  Sigh...I knew I was too emotional and impulsive.  Now some stupid dancer has confirmed it. 

:)
Melissa

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:18:21 PM »
Brad Lessem , Shelly Langly , ...... WTH

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
i definately went both ways...no comment

i have taken a ton of these tests over the years and I swing from one side to the other and often am in the middle...again, no comment

it sounds cool and balanced to be in the middle but what it means is I am a split personality never full into one or the other...having been there all my life, I can tell you it can suck...again...

on the other hand, I can relate to a ton of different personalities, I like all kinds of sports, music, art, foods, etc

it is great, I can be depressed like an artist while at the same time enjoy working on data analysis on a spreadsheet

creative freefrom and structured at the same time

decisions made using well thoughtout strategy and emotional "feel"

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »
bb tuna do you work for the geek squad? not every thread is about your gay art,music and spread sheets...use some logic..spock you are

not>>>Foods? hahahaha!

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »
I think that it's all OK with that test, as long as the dancer doesn't start breakdancing and moonstepping,
or turns into a wabbit (left-brained, right-brained, or hare-brained?).

Then you'll know the pet monkey and that soundproofed "Special Room" with the full length mirror, the walk-in closet full of Liberace's suits, and a 10,000 watt audio system blaring ABBA's "Dancing Queen" will soon be following.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:57:59 PM by foozkillah »

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 04:05:08 PM »
I thought there was something fishy with the picture to be honest. I'd watch it, it'd be spinning counter-clockwise then I'd read some text or switch windows and I'd go back and all of a sudden it was spinning clockwise. No matter what I did it wouldn't turn the other way, but if I took my eyes off of it for a minute or two and went back, it was always spinning in the other direction. Does that make my psycho?

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
I thought there was something fishy with the picture to be honest. I'd watch it, it'd be spinning counter-clockwise then I'd read some text or switch windows and I'd go back and all of a sudden it was spinning clockwise. No matter what I did it wouldn't turn the other way, but if I took my eyes off of it for a minute or two and went back, it was always spinning in the other direction. Does that make my psycho?

Nate,

It certainly sounds like it!  :D   You must now turn yourself in to the nearest asylum for the acutely insane, but make sure they allow you to bring your foosball table in with ya!  If not, go find another fruit stand ... I mean asylum, that has room for your "therapy".   8)

You're gonna need that table, especially with papafoos, pablofoos, bless em, Old Meister, and bbtuna down the hall, waiting for the next DYP.  I'll be the one running the DYP charts .... in a white jacket, of course !! :o 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:51:01 PM by foozkillah »

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 12:08:52 AM »
Left brain right brain inner game of tennis,Just pass the damm hot wing and play the game like a freak...