Foosball.com Forums

My New Tornado and Needed Advice

Offline Will17

My New Tornado and Needed Advice
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:49:20 PM »
So I finally got a Tornado Coin Op today. and I have a few questions
Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32633746@N06/?saved=1

Can someone identify the exact model? (T2000?)

There have been several threads on exactly what to do to level the playing surface, what has to be done with the screws that are part of the ball return so that they don't push on the playing surface? I can't seem to find instructions on what to do... I haven't really tested it to make sure its not level, but I have read so much about that I would assume this table has the problem too.

Why is the ball return so messed up on my table? It appears I am missing one piece, the part that the coin mech would dump into if I had a coin mechanism set up. Does anyone have a picture of what that piece looks like or at least can someone confirm that i'm missing it?

When people have a table set to free play, do they have to reach in really far to grab balls off the ball return before they go into the spinning metal wheel?

What type of lube is best to get to put on the bars?
[url]
What wraps are best and what should I use to keep them sticky?

Any other advice about maintainence and upkeep on a table would be appreciated.

FYI - I still have my warrior table, however it is kept at my friends bachelor pad that I hang out at a few times a week.

Offline Rios

Re: My New Tornado and Needed Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
The model is a T3000.

The only piece that I can see that you are missing is the piece where the balls would dump into if it cost money to play.

And yes, you have to reach way in and take the balls off of the ramp when you have the table set on free play.

Also it looks like you are missing the box that goes right under the coin mech that catches the quarters, it is hard to tell for sure from the pics though.

The best lube is a silicone based lube. DO NOT use an oil based lube cause it will mess up the bearrings, you can get this lube off of foosball.com or Tornadofoosball.com

The wraps I use are the TTR Masterwraps, they seem to last the longest for me. I also use Yonex wraps that are really tacky that you can get off of any tennis website. There is no trick to keeping wraps tacky, when they wear out and get old.

When cleaning the surface use a 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol. Keep the rods lubed and the bearings clean, and your table should last a VERY long time...

I am jealous, I want one of those tables so bad!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:26:52 AM by Rios »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
as Tom said it is hard to see based on the pictures but next time you are out where there is a coin op, open it up and look and see what is missing...once you know that, either go back to where you got and tell them to get you what you are missing or you can buy any part you need online but it should be part of your table

oh, and I am jealous too

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:34:28 AM »
I would make sure the surface is not flat before you go to the lengths required to fix it. If it is warped post back and I will dig up the thread on the various remedies.

Other tips:
- use silicon lube but not too much
- masterwraps are the best bar none
- clean the surface and the ramps inside frequently
- don't mess with the bearings more than you have to (i'm convinced that the more you mess with them the more they get loose)
- keep some new balls on reserve since you have it set on free play and dont need 9 at once

Congrats on the new table

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »
I think it's actually a T-2000.  It looks just like mine.  I think a key difference that can be seen in the pictures is the score counter.

Offline Will17

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »
Also it doesn't have the big word "Tornado" on the side

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:29:13 PM »
Grats on your table Will. I hope you get a lot of playtime out of it.  I would agree with other people in saying that the TTR wraps are really nice. I've had my table for a while now, and only my three bar on my practice side is worn to the point where it might need replacing.

Rios, should you really use a 50/50 solution, I've been using almost straight rubbing alcohol, it does the trick and evaporates fast, but is it damaging to the surface, or is it just a method to conserve rubbing alcohol?  I know pretty soon I'm going to have to buy some new bearings and foosmen... but I'm trying to put that off for my table.

Like alot of others have said, it looks like you're just missing the coin drop box. I'd take a picture of mine and load it, but it's an older model and I don't have a digital camera.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
That's a good idea, Syronis.  I can probably get some pictures posted tomorrow of the inside of mine to show you what might be missing.

Offline Will17

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone, i'll order up a whole bunch of new balls, lube, some wraps,

I am pretty sure that i'm missing the part that the balls drop into after the spinning mechanism rotates around. and i'm missing a coin drop box too i think.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:50:25 PM »
It looked like you had the spot where the balls are supposed to roll into and turn. I don't think you're missing that part at all. Is your table still set for coin-op play or something? I can see the only ball return that my table has in your pictures, so I highly doubt that you're missing such an important part to the table.

As far as the coin drop box, it doesn't even really have to be one that's "standard equipment". You could easily build one out of some plywood, or hell.... even any kind of box would do as long as the coins drop in there. If you don't get any pictures send me an IM and I'll borrow a digi from a friend and snap some shots.

Offline Will17

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 12:18:56 AM »
I don't mean the actual part that spins, but picture after the balls drop out of it once it flips over... they need to fall into something.. right now they just drop into the body of the table.  I guess even some tupperware would work. I am not even planning on putting this table specifically into a location, its my personal table. My friend and I started a company today officially.. We plan on putting foosball tables in a few different locations right away. We'll start with 3 tables and see how it goes, worst case scenario we'll end up selling off the tables after we find out it doesn't work. Best case scenario we will make about 5-10 dollars a day off the tables. If a person owned 40 tables making 10 dollars a day it would bring in 12000 a month, which is just ridiculous. While that is WAY down the road at least to start we could have 2 or 3 and see how it goes.

Offline Will17

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 12:20:09 AM »
The rods are making a pretty loud, or at least audible, rubbing sound. every rod is making this noise... am i just noticing it for the first time becaues usually its loud in bars and its quiet in my house? or is it because the bearings are messed up? it feels very smooth.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »
Don't panic. The sound you hear is what you should hear with new bearings. ( In my best Rod Serling voice), Imagine if you will, As I have described before, the table is a machine for you to operate.

With that in mind, picture the main bearing in a motor of which the crankshaft sits. The rod sits on the bearings in a similar fashion as the crank on the main bearings. That noise you hear is the perfect alignment of the rod ever so slightly touching the bearing so when you drag the rod, that is the noise you hear. When you add silicone, the rod slides on just micrometers of lube while keeping contact with the bearing.

You are right about hearing the noise. Your domicile is less noisy, and has closer and better insulated walls.

So not to fear, play on.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 12:23:46 PM »
The rods are making a pretty loud, or at least audible, rubbing sound. every rod is making this noise... am i just noticing it for the first time becaues usually its loud in bars and its quiet in my house? or is it because the bearings are messed up? it feels very smooth.

You could test using either black or yellow-side 2bar & other locations:
Take out the bearings with your Tornado bearing wrench and flip them 180 degrees.
See if the rods are still making the sound.
Make sure you've lubed them up with hobby silicone oil or Tornado silicone oil afterwards.

** Also check to see by looking with your eyes at rod level and slowly spinning the handle to see if the rods have any visible bend in them that would make them ride either the inside or outside edge of the bearing areas in contact because of some angle.  The rods may be riding on an edge. This could be a slight bend in the rods which you should be able to work out, a normal manufacturing tolerance burr in the bearings that will go away with use, or could be bad enough to start scraping your rods' finish. At any rate, there should be virtually no sound if you've just lubed the rods.

Offline Rios

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »
ya, I just use 50/50 water and alcohol solution to clean my table... I am sure you could just use regular alcohol also. I dont think it would mess anything up...

As far as your bearings making noise, I have a buddy whose table made that noise for a while and after a month or so of playing on the table the bearings got "broke in" and they stopped making the noise.
-Check and see if there is a visibly smoother side to the bearings and put that side on the bottom.
-Make sure that the rods are lubed.
-A big problem some people have is they have their bearings WAY too tight. You should tighten the bearings by hand. And if you choose to use the wrench, make sure you only slightly tighten them... dont go caveman on them...