Foosball.com Forums

mental attitude

Re: mental attitude
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
  let me start by saying that i do not believe that my information is the only way to look at things. If i have insinuated this at any time, which it seems i may have, i sincerely apologize for that. There are as many ways of percieving life/reality as there are stars in the sky. My stuff is just a way that i have found that works for me, and i have fun sharing it when i get the chance.
  So heres some more of my stuff.
  My desire now days is to be happy, to enjoy my life. It is my belief that winning foosball matches, making a lot of money or whatever are a by product of being happy, having fun. So, yes, from my point of view peace and hapiness are a requirement for true winning. Until i began to believe this, i was never able to enjoy and appreciate my success". They were not true "winning". And when i did not get a desired result, i was devistated. I rarely got to have fun.(killah might find it interesting that i only have five of my origional teeth, and my hair is snow white).
  Since adopting my new way of thinking and acting, i now have fun when i win a match. And i have fun when i lose a match.
  For me it was a matter of perception. And i discovered that I can choose the way I percieve my life. You can choose to be happy and successful if you really want to, and are willing to do the work required. My stuff is just one way of doing it.

Side Note: I started playing again recently after 30 years layoff. I am strictly a goaly. I play 3 nights a week at Clicks Billiards in Arlington Texas. I have progressed from total retard to decent. I actually block an occasional freakin rollover. And im learning some shots to clear the ball. My biggest challenge right now is trapping the ball in my area (i was better at that when i had all my teeth). But im getting better and learning every night. Great fun. If your a forward know that some day, im comming for you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:41:09 PM by zeek mullins »

« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
So...as a goalie who has been playing a lot of forward....are you coming for me too? Just curious, might need to sharpen the tools a bit.

« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
not yet

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
BBT,

What?  Nahhhh... no cookie foh youuuuu!  >:(

Everyone knows the cookie jars are all indoors, and none at the flyfishing meets!  ;)

« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
Now Ice, respect the spirit of the man. Hey, I'M coming for you, lol. I want to play anyone and everyone who's good and try to sing "my song" when I do. It's what we do, isn't it? We really need a big tournament in the NW so the big names come. I think the NW is being snubbed due to their dominance in the 70's ;D.
And 'Killa, what about flyfishing meets? Someone here a flyfisher too?

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
not yet

Give him a couple more weeks. ;)

Iceman, I'm just curious.

Why do you chose to play mostly goal?  The times I've watched, you seem to have a really good offensive five row.  I realize that the few times I've watched you, it wasn't at a major but you seemed to handle yourself well against most of the DFW players.

John and I started playing during a time when the game wasn't so dominated by forwards.  That's not to say we didn't have dominating forwards, but rather a different role for goalies.  I don't know about John, but in my case, I chose to play goalie because I could just about pick my forward among those that knew me.  That's why I never had any real desire to go to forward.  I also feel more natural in goal and rarely feel any pressure there.  I know John also played with some of the top forwards back then, so it's probably the same for him.

If it's a mental thing for you, have any of the posts in this thread helped you?  My thought is that you just feel more natural there.  Am I close?

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »
And 'Killa, what about flyfishing meets? Someone here a flyfisher too? 

After I took all the cookie jars AND cookies, I made sure never to stash any of them at flyfishing meets and locations.  Ya'll never find 'em!

Done a lot of fishing both freshwater and saltwater, but never had the pleasure of the classic flyfishing pastime.  I have a couple of friends I used to watch make their own lures, though... very colorful, very tricky... too festive for me, though.. got no probs chopping off worms for bait, or gutting baitfish.. nor showing them to my screaming nieces and nephews.   :D

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2009, 08:50:06 PM »
Aw, and here I thought that should we ever get a major tourney here in the NW that I might treat one or more of the foos bros to some fine flyfishing.  Of course we always have deep sea fishing and those dumb salmon to catch ;). There are few things better than hiking into a high mountain lake and fishing it ala float tube(an easy chair that floats) with the fly that the fish want. I enjoy that almost as much as reading some posts here and going  to my table with a few brews and WHALING ON IT! Well that pretty much side tracks the thread doesn't it.? Basically we/I are waiting for Zeek/John's next jewel of information.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:57:15 PM by Old Meister »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
I dunno, OM,

I kinda liked that part where Gilliland talks about realizing when you're caught up in the moment by watching and waiting for it beforehand, and then taking over from doing whatever comes naturally or as a kneejerk reaction, but instead think it through, stop the unconscious part when it's not being productive or not making sense.  At least that's what I took it to mean...

I think that's part of what he was talking about...  I tested it first on solitaire, which I play very very quickly and it does really sometimes "jerk" you mentally, when you pause and take over from what you'd normally do.  Then I tried it in chess, which I've played for years, ever since I was a kid, especially bughouse and speed chess, then I tried it in a DYP with a not quite hapless rookie netsperson.  Really helps in staying calm and continuing to concentrate on the current shot or pass I was trying to make.  I would often get caught up in a bad break and ruin the next couple of serves.  Works pretty well, but you have to really warn yourself before the match starts.

Speaking about your comfort zone, few brews and a' flyswattin' we will go, it reminds me, weirdly, of several times and places where I can send my mind to during stressful situations...  Now I can help myself by remembering several peaceful instances and being ready to force my mind to that quieting memory.  Lagniappes (there are NEVER ANY HOT WOMEN in my comfort times, no cable, no cell, never in mid-April, nowhere near a building or a store, and quite often in the rain...).

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2009, 11:31:07 PM »
killah
  in the beginning you may have to "force/warn" yourself to switch to focusing on what you want. but if you stay after it, and use the witness proceedure, it will become habit. The negative images still come to me, but i recognize them almost immediatly and swith to focusing on what i want. Then i can analyize the "negative" stuff unemotionally and learn from it. Its just a different way of percieving "negative" that removes the negative emotional charge and turns it into useful information.
  If you are willing to work at it for a while, this way of thinking will become habit and you will be amazed at how much more peaceful you can be. And you will begin to understand how wise "negative" outcomes can make you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:43:19 PM by zeek mullins »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
John,

I grok you, but "negative" outcomes?  "No KnCoookie ??!!"  That's severe!!!

Have to have the cookies..  OK,,,, maybe later, when all the wise men get the n.. cookies.

Cool exercise, though.... and weird...

« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »
Now there's a blast from the 60's and 70's, " I grok you." Stranger In a Strange Land by Heinlien(sp). A must read along with "Electric Koolaid Acid Test".  ;)

« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
Im working on a few more things and a grand finalie. want to get it right.

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »
Zeek/John, you certainly don't have to defend yourself as what you are giving has been given freely without any expectation from anyone. Read at your own risk or pleasure, and I want to thank you again for it. I also had a 30 year lay-off and, like you, am getting to a good place in my game. I think that we have enjoyed a meeting of the minds and created  a few mutual friends through this thread, life is good!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:00:53 PM by Old Meister »

« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
A few more things from Napoleon Hill & Bill Harris

The Capacity for Faith
  This was the sixth of Hills Twelve Riches of Life. He discovered that all the ultra successful people he interviewed had this trait. This did not necessarily refer to religious faith, but to the fact that they all had an unwaivering belief that their actions would produce the result they were after. The reason they were so successful in the face of adversity was because they believed, deep down in their bones, that what they were doing would eventually produce the result they were after. This faith was what gave them the patience, persistence and peace of mind to endure all obstacles. This was actually the third of his discoveries about successful people. Strong desire, combined with major purpose, backed by faith, made them unstoppable.
  According to Bill Harris, keeping your mind focused on what you want creates the faith you need. Faith wanes when you begin to allow your mind to focus automatically, unconsciously, on what you are afraid of..

Going The Extra Mile
  This principle is based on the belief that the amount of reward you receive for your efforts is directly related to the amount of effort you give. Hill found that his successful people believed that giving more than was “expected” to any endeavor was like putting money in a savings account. It compounded the return they received later.
  The next time you are working on your game and the opportunity to do something else comes along (go out with the guys, watch tv etc.) you must decide what you really want. Do you want to be a top player? Or do you want to have a little fun right now. If you decide to go the extra mile and put in the work now, have faith that you will get to experience the major fun of being a top player. I guarantee you that all the top players understand the principle of going the extra mile.
  Note: Going the extra mile creates the state of mind, the satisfaction, of knowing that you are willing to do more than 95% of the rest of the people. This creates confidence and makes “putting in the work” fun.
  Another Note: I am not saying that you can not have other fun. If you decide you do not want to go the extra mile, let that be ok. Maybe you are happy with where you are. Just understand the old saying “keep doing what your doing, keep getting what you are getting”.

How can I
  A simple little question that can determine how you experience life.
  Have you ever missed a shot, pass or whatever and asked yourself “why do I miss that” (usually accompanied by negative actions and emotions). This is a very common way of reacting in todays society. As you know by now this causes you to change your focus to what you do not want, which causes your unconscious mind to figure out how to create more “miss that”.  Fun and learning cease.
  “How can I” sets up a whole different set of circumstances. This sends instructions to your genie to use all its resources to create what you want. This in turn causes you to seek out the information you need to accomplish the goal. And as a bonus, you don’t get to experience all the negative stuff.
  Harris states that once he switched from “why do I” to “how can I” he began to achieve his goals and his company really flourished.
  “Why Do I” is just a habit. It can be changed. Use the witness procedure every time you notice yourself asking “why do I”. Immediately switch to “how can I do this. I know there is a way, I just haven’t found it yet”. Sometimes the answer will come quickly, sometimes it may take a little time. Just keep focusing on what you want and asking “how can I”.