Foosball.com Forums

mental attitude

Re: mental attitude
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »
I can relate to each of these and I've always stumbled on "Going the extra mile". I'm an obsessive person and it has gotten in the way of harmony in my marriage more than once. When I first moved to Oregon in 1979, my wife and I rented a small apartment. It was hard to leave her there when I finally found the foos scene in Portland but she didn't want to go there and I was driven. The very first time I went to a tournament somebody tried to break in while she was there alone. She's got fire in her and basically put up a front that few would want to challenge so the intruder retreated but the damage was done. After foos died I got into archery, I was soon in the top 3 in the state but I could only go to the local tournaments due to the expense of the national tournaments while raising kids. I was lucky  to have a few national and world tournaments locally and placed high in those but couldn't pursue it any further than that. A friend of mine did go that extra mile and, yes, he was the top pro in world Target, Field and Indoors all in the same year, yet at a price that few if any could afford. He got divorced from his wife and then later, with her life in shambles, she committed suicide where her two daughters found her after school. Sooo, I now assess my life's situation, ask my wife for understanding and consider her needs and try to keep everything on a positive. She actually is a very good player but is not driven to compete. All she wants to do is bring me back to earth once in a while with her brand of reality, you couldn't imagine how humbling this is. I beat a one time women's world champion just a few weeks ago, if she had had my wife as a partner I wouldn't have had a chance.

« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »
uh oh.......can of worms

Meister
  Sorry about your friend. His story started me thinking that I may need to do a little more clarifying.
  Going the extra mile is meant to be a way of life, applied to all facets of your life. Please dont think I am implying that you must be so dedicated to yur material goal that you neglect the things that are truly important. Personal relationships and family always take precident over material goals, and going the extra mile in these areas is just as rewarding. Remember that I believe that peace and happiness are necessary components of true success. Without this peace, happiness and harmony in your personal life the material success is empty, if it comes at all.
  Does this make sense?

« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
Zeek, certainly it does make sense what you say. The thing about sports that are so focused on fine motor skills and execution is to be honest as to what extent you are able to pursue those skills and what you must give up in order to arrive at the desired targeted outcome. Balancing family and other interests with lofty goals in your chosen sport are not easy. I would have to say that the game of foosball has been my favorite pursuit, as a sport, in my life time. But, like many others, I had it taken away from me when I was at the peak of my skills due to the sport dying out. Today there are so many very good players and the internet let's us see just how good you have to be to have a chance of competing on the top level. Many dream but never can get there as their lives won't allow the time needed to practice. Us boomer might have the time but the cruel truth of the clock may have slowed the eye, the hands, the brain. I just turned 55, I feel I'm a young 55 but still have to accept that that 17 year old that doesn't know 1/4 of what I do still gets the better of me for reasons I can't control. My life is such that I must get up early in the morning to go to work, usually 5Am or earlier. Because of that I shouldn't even try to play in the evenings as once the clock hits 9PM you can stick a fork in me, I'm done. My eyes can't follow the ball and my reflexes won't let me catch it. So I'm limited to daytime tournaments if I want to be competitive and I do really good then. The whole point is that I need to come to terms with what I want out of playing this game and be honest so that the rewards  and expectations are realistic. When I was young I wanted to be the best, I was ready to prove it when the rug was pulled out from beneath me. Now I'm not so young and don't know what I'm trying to prove. All I know is I love this game.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
OM,

Perhaps you could become a defender, start taking much more pride in staunchly defending against all these younger forwards, and furnish solid stabilizing support for your forwards.

Defense can be much more consistent than the obvious needs of offensive strike capabilities, speed, pinpoint precision, and lightning reflexes.   I've found that learning to really study defense and developing the pro's speed of mental calculation and recognition of the opponent/s' strategies is just as attainable, and perhaps even more so, than that of a forward's need to recognize the D and execute an attack as perfectly as possible.

As one gets older, one should be able give up the youthful urge to just race a shot or kill oneself and burn up too much energy doing a high speed shuffle.  Percentage play (from decades of observation) concludes that in any advanced foos over rookie level, there are really only 3-4 lanes where the ball will approach the or go towards the goal.  If you collect videos and tapes, check them over the decades and see if any legend or proMaster uses more than those 3-4 lanes.  Humans just practice those.  Noone really thinks of doing a thousand shots to the first dot, then the first and 1/4 dot, then the first and 1/2 dot, and so on through the other side.  If some insane individual does this and perfects an 18lane shooting series, then you have even less hope of blocking or defeating that one than you would a Rico or Spredeman.

Concluding this, then establishing the closest thing to a generically sound D is:
1. Observe if possible the forwards to be defended against.  They will most likely have one, two or three, rarely four lanes that they go through.  And some defenses, either because it hides these lanes or they just have bad mental memories of shooting on those types of D's, will always bother them while others make them "groove".
2. Develop one or two defenses for different lane threats and once you get this philosophy down, add one or more feints to those same D's, to throw in to distract or at least discomfit the opposing forward.
3. Develop at least two set on-goal shots from the goal, like a square pull set and a spray push set, so you can easily switch to whichever shot set is harder or less familiar to the defenders... at the very least making them work a little more.
4. Add one or two pass or clear solidly practiced option releases away from the goal, and FORCE yourself to employ these every so often, for obvious reasons like keeping the defenders honest and to prevent their getting comfy whenever you have the ball.

None of these require blinding speed, just good careful observation, whenever possible, of your opposing human opponents, to find their shot lanes.  And good quick calculation of the percentages as each shot develops.  Just like poker.  And of course, technique.  Many techniques and styles are available, and their speed and reaction time comes from execution, not physical brute force or power.  Even if forwards mis-hit shots earlier, and score, they will more likely than not warm up into shooting their normal lanes as the game and match goes along, not continuing the slop or accidental releases.  And the madder and less detached they get, the more they will groove into the same lanes.

I would suggest never never again go into any game, pickups for fun, or matches for the money, without some gameplan and the effort to establish it.  No matter what.  A thinking goalkeeper who practices this should be a lot more dangerous than those who do not.  Oh sure, forwards will still score and sometimes drill the goalkeeper, but the trick is to fight to minimize the percentages and to consistently give you and/or your team a chance to win.  If a goalkeeper can hold off a dominating forward just enough and consistently enough to either score or have one's forward outscore the opponents, that is definitely a thousand times better than bricking the opposing forward every 7th game or so, but getting rolled and fileted  in all the other games. 

The other suggestion is to learn to make timeout calls and to start controlling the play, which can be tons of fun.  I teach this to young goalkeepers and they get some empowerment immediately.  How?  If the opponent/s is trying to speed up the game, slow it down, just enough.  If they try to slowplay, throw some quicksets, even hacks into the game, lots of things to force the play to speed up.  Then forcibly reverse it... decide to shoot or release at 14.5 secs, then 3 secs the next, then 7 secs the next.  Play with the timing.  Younger or more "feel" players will often get pulled along as if on a string.  This also allows one to be a calming influence on one's partner, never shooting when they're not ready or wasting opportunities with brash clears that they don't have a fair chance to catch.

If you love this game, there is a frightening amount of logic, technique, timing, and percentage calculation in it, too.  I'm sure that Gumby and Tmac have switched more and more to technique, timing, percentage and overall philosophy to win matches as they've gotten older and farther removed from their first wins 2 decades ago..  What I believe you have to give up is the youthful, invincibility-deluded desire to play like you did when you were just beginning to get good.  Smoothness over speed, timing over power, and teamwork over heroic feats.  Try to perfect your self-control within your own current limitations.  Then extend that control beyond just yourself, with practice and philosophy, to make them play your game.  Just like all head-to-head sports, solid tough D is practice-able and can be made consistent, without the need for superstars and super talent, and a lot of offense can be generated from that D.

« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »
Are there two fooskillahs on this board? This cant be the same guy that likes the cookies. Do i know you killah? That last post was goood stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:02:46 PM by zeek mullins »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2009, 04:07:39 AM »
Are there two fooskillahs on this board? This cant be the same guy that likes the cookies. Do i know you killah? That last post was goood stuff.

Wehlllllluh...   Must've been that latest batch of KHOUKEEEES with the green "woodsy" smelling little tidbits in it....  It's like I couldn't stop munchin' and I wiped out all the chips in the cubby board, too!

Started to feel a little pressure in the center of m'noggin, y'know, where the dopamine releases are usually concentrated?  Of course I couldn't stop smiling and I felt like I KNEW LEONARDO DAVINCI IN A PAST LIFE!  But wait! wait!

I see a small corner of that last Tostito White Corn Flake that flew off, right in the corner of the room.... Gonna have to look for some salsa............................  and see if my Anthrax/Public Enemy and my Pantera songs are still on that ole tape player....

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2009, 04:25:07 AM »
{Foozkillah's furry Mexican twin, ChinChillah, walks in...}

What?  Who the %$#$#%$ ate all my Tostitos, mahnggg !!??  I swear I had seeex beeg bags !!

And who keeps setting my TIVO to VH1ClassicMetal ??

« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2009, 07:27:57 AM »
and see if my Anthrax/Public Enemy and my Pantera songs are still on that ole tape player....

« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
whoever killah is, I bet hes got a bitchin chick and and some cherry wheels.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:30:47 PM by zeek mullins »

« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2009, 05:44:10 PM »
Well, looks like i wont finish this up til after State this weekend.

« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »
Good luck you guys!

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:56 AM »
whoever killah is, I bet hes got a bitchin chick and and some cherry wheels.

Chinchillah buttin' in while 'Killah's breaking up some ice cubes..:   Perhaps that was troo, beri troo, manggh, a while back...  {sound of a Bic lighter, cough! cough! cough! wheeeeeze.. ! whoooh!!}   but after one or a dozen too many pretty but psychodramatic strays.... 'Killah ditched the pretty chulitas and sold the slow N flow ride manggh... Or was it "vices" versa???  8)

He rowls alown now manggh....  to save big bucks for a rainy day ese'.... like when an unknown son or daughter knocks on the door with their own kids, "Hiya Poppi !!  Remember mom?"....  :o :o :o

« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »
More Stuff

Mastermind Group
  Another of Hills discoveries was that all the successful people he interviewed had a group of like minded people that they met with on a regular basis for the purpose of brainstorming, learning and planning. They may be accountants, presidents of companies, engineers, financial experts, or whatever. As long as they all had the same goal (in their case it was making money, but this applies to any goal) and were willing to share information. They all accepted that they did not, could not, know everything about business and understood the principle that two minds are better that one. Ten were even better.
  Bill Harris believes that when you combine the power of more than one mind, you multiply the potential power of the total. You tap into what he calls the universal consciousness.

Practicing
  Professional golfers have developed their practice routines to encompass every phase of the game. Not only do they work on their physical game (mechanics), they work just as hard on the mental side.
  When they are working on something new, or something that is not working properly, they are not as concerned with the results, but with the physical mechanics. But once they have developed the particular skill, they also know that they have to work on applying the skill in competition. Physical mechanics are a matter of repetition, quantity. Developing the mental mechanics are a matter of quality. In mental practice they work hard at creating, in their minds, with their imagination, actual situations that will require the execution of their new skill. They understand that being able to hit a 300 yd drive is useless unless you can do it when it counts.
  Lee Trevino was playing in a pro am and one of his partners kept missing makeable putts. Every time he missed he would drop another ball and hit the putt again. He would usually make the second one. Finally Trevino asked him why he kept doing that. The guy said because he wanted to prove he could make it. Trevinos reply was that a cow could make the second one.

Chunking
  Chunking is the term Bill Harris uses to describe moving up and down in the hierarchy of ideas. At the upper level is the “big picture”. This is focusing on the over all goal, seeing the final result and feeling all the accomplishment you will have when you reach the goal. Dreaming if you will. As you chunk down you begin to see the details more clearly. You start to see all the things you need to accomplish the goal. At the lower end of chunking you are focusing on the minutest details.
  The upper level is where you get your motivation. It is important to keep this “dream” in mind as often as you can. But you must be able to move up and down in the hierarchy of ideas as you take action to accomplish the dream.

Modeling
  One of the best ways to learn what you need, to accomplish a goal, is to find out how people, who already have what you want, do it. Duh you say. That’s what we all do.
  We all watch the top players and try to copy what we see. If it was that easy, we would all be top players. If you have been reading all my stuff, you should now have a different set of questions to ask..
  Next time you are watching a top player, see if you can figure out how they think. What are their beliefs about themselves, about foosball, about life. What are their values. Do they value being a great tournament player over being a flashy show off. Do they value practice over going out with the boys and goofing off. See if you can figure out their beliefs and values in other areas of their life. These are the things that make them top players! Don’t be afraid to ask them.
  If you will do this you will eventually know a way of thinking and acting that has created a top player. Then all you must do is be willing, and understand how, to adopt these things into your way of acting and thinking.

Next ill show you a method for using all this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:24:05 PM by zeek mullins »

« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »
In archery there was an Olympic coach, Al Henderson. He said," Shooting good is a puzzle, the big pieces are the easiest and then there are the small pieces. Little by little it comes together."

« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »
There is a process, an action plan, that all successful people use to achieve their goals. Many modern achievers are aware of this process, some have come by it through trial and error, and some were lucky enough to have had mentors who passed it to them. You may have seen or heard it in one form or another.

Six Steps to Getting Anything You Want in Life.

Step One: Know where you are at – Personal evaluation / inventory
Step Two: Know where you want to be. – Goal setting, dreaming
Step Three: Take Action based on your plan
Step Four: Evaluate your action and adjust
Step Five: Take more action based on what you have learned
Step Six: Repeat steps 3,4 &5 until you get what you want.

At first glance this may seem simple. But believe me if it was we would all have everything we wanted! What the successful people (the top 5 percenters) have learned is that there is a way of thinking and acting that allows them to persist thru all the pitfalls and adversities along the journey. All the things I have been talking about are designed to help create this way of thinking.

Im working on explaining the steps in more detail and showing how the stuff I have been talking about applies to each.

Next – Steps One and Two
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:09:22 PM by zeek mullins »