Foosball.com Forums

mental attitude

Re: mental attitude
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »
its a proven fact that if you can visualize what you want, and add the positive emotion to it (as in ices example) the unconscious mind can not tell the difference between the visualization and an actual happening. Visualization, in a positive way, during meditation is an awesome way to practice. I keep putting this in some of my posts, but it is a key point - If you visualize what you dont want, with the intention of avoiding it, you only ask for more of what you dont want.

Also about triggers. a trigger is a picture you make in your conscious mind. If you have tied it to the action you want, the unconscious mind will make it happen. (Note: this picture can be of an event, but it can also be of a situation.) And it can make it happen instantaniously if you have learned not to interfer.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:52:03 PM by zeek mullins »

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »
That trigger stuff is some great information. You see, this is what I love about this thread. Guys in the know, putting into words something you might have brushed on but didn't fully understand. Oh please keep on going. Good good stuff,,,

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
The Four Stages of Learning

Stage 1 - Unconsciously Unconscious
  You dont have a clue. You walk in to a place and see some people playing foosball. There is a guy shooting a rollover. You are amazed. You dont know what he is doing, but you think it is pretty neat. When they leave, you decide to put in a few quarters and try to do what he was doing. If your interest is strong enough, you move to stage 2.

Stage 2 - Consciously Unconscious
  You realize that there is a lot more to this game than you thought. A sign on the wall says there is a tournament every thursday night. You come down and watch. You get to see a few good players. You realize that there is a lot of skill involved. And your thinking you might like to compete. You find yourself coming down a few nights a week and spending some quarters. You realize that you dont know how to play. If your desire is strong enough, you decide you want to learn. You start paying attention to the good players, asking questions, and working a little on your game. You decide what shot you are going to use, and set out to learn it. 75% of the people dont get past this stage. They find out how much work they are going to have do and decide, for whatever reason, that they are not willing to do it. The other 25% move to stage three.

Stage 3 - Consciously Conscious
  You made the commitment. You have put in time and work. You have developed a decent game. Maybe you have done well in a few of the local tournaments. You now know how to shoot your shot. But you still have to pay attention to the shot when you are shooting it. You find that if you dont focus on the shot every time you shoot it, you still cant make it happen when you need to. You realize that the top players seem to execute most of the time during the heat of a match. You are down to the nuttcuttin! How bad do you want it? Maybe 20% of the remaing players dont get past this stage. I have noticed that there are a lot of playres at this stage today. Either they are not willing to do the work necessary, or they want to be a top player, but just dont know HOW to get there. It requires dedication and strong desire to move to stage 4. According to Bill Harris, about 5% move on.

Stage 4 - Consciously Unconscious
  You decided you want to be one of the best. You made your game a major purpose in your life. You have a burning desire to be the best. You now play in every tournamet you can find. You practice hard and you understand how to practice. Your shot is now a habit. All you have to do is think (make a picture) of the shot and your unconscious mind makes it happen. Now you can place your attention on the nuances of the game. Shot defences, goalie defences, mental game etc. Now you are ready to become a 2%er, or what we call in golf one of the big boys.

Before you can start a journey, you have to know where you are. If you want to go to San Francisco, but you dont know where you are, how are you going to know which direction to go. It is very imortant to know what stage you are at on the learning curve. And it is extemely important to be brutaly honest with yourself when you are determining this.

When I started playing the mini tours, and working hard at my game, I also started taking Taekwondo to work on my conditioning. Jin Chung was my instructor. Master Chung was 5 time Korean middle weight champion and an 8th degree black belt. He loved to play golf. He was a master at the broken sentance metaphors you often hear. We used to play every time i was in town. Sometimes I would go out and play pretty good in a tournament, but when I would come back into town and play with Master Chung, I would often shoot 4,5,6 over par. This would piss me off. Master Chung would say "You not know how good you are", This happened several times, and always he would just say "you not know how good you are" and let it go at that. Finally one day, after a particulary frustating round, Master Chung said "You not know how good you are", and I said "if I should be shooting under par all the time then why dont I?" Master Chung replied "when I say you dont know how good you are, I mean you think you are better than you are."

One of the biggest drawbacks to progressing in the learning curve is thinking you are better than you are.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:17:43 AM by zeek mullins »

« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »
Full circle! American idol syndrome. Somebody once pointed that out to me,,, ;)

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2009, 09:44:52 AM »
John (zeek)....

please continue....I'm (we're) interested as to where you're going with the Master Chung comment.

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
Theres really nothing more about the chung story. He was trying to teach me something about expectations. I have several more chungisms if the oportunity presents itself. I have my next post nearly ready.

« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2009, 05:26:17 PM »
Well, I’m still struggling with this mental mechanics thing. There is just so much to it that I could do a post a day for the next month. Just to give you an idea, it involves such things as your internal map (ego), beliefs, values, generalizations, strategies, how you process information, how you receive information from the outside world, how you use this information to form internal representations (pictures), the roll of emotions, and much more. I’m working on a condensed version. But it will take a while, if yall are still interested.

In the mean time, I have decided to get down to the most important two things I learned. Understanding the Personal Responsibility principle is the key to using all this information. Understanding the Witness method changed my life. Its how I went from an uptight, pissed off all of the time person to someone who is happy and peaceful, and having fun most of the time. (Not all the time, but much more than before).

This is a tough one for most people to get. It was for me. But I was determined, and once I understood these next two things, a lot of stuff changed in my life.

Personal Responsibility

You must understand that whatever happens to you comes from inside you. It is your perception of a happening that determines its reality to you!

We have all learned to play the blame game. Something happens outside of us, and if it was not something we wanted to happen, we have learned to place blame on that happening. Someone says or does something we “don’t like”, or we do something and don’t get the results we wanted, and our internal map, our “ego” has been programmed to place fault somewhere. We blame the happening, or we blame ourselves for somehow causing the happening. We react in a negative way both physically and emotionally. Our body releases chemicals in to our system that cause us to feel bad. We begin to focus on what we don’t want, with the intention of avoiding it. Basically, we suffer. This is a learned reaction!

Blame insinuates that we have done something wrong. This is simply not the case. We react to a happening based on the programming in our unconscious mind. We learned these reactions when we were too young to have control of that programming.

Personal responsibility is about accepting that we place the meaning on all the happenings that are going on in our lives. Stuff happens. But we choose what meanings we put on that stuff, thus creating our reality, our experience of life. We have some control over what happens in our immediate life. And we can work at creating the life we want. But we have virtually no control over what happens in the outside world (basically because there are millions of other people out there trying to get what they want). Placing blame on these outside happenings is playing white must win.

So, personal responsibility is about doing away with the blame game. It’s about understanding that it’s not things that happen outside of us that create our reality, it’s our perception of those things. It’s about learning to accept and deal with all the happenings that we cannot control. It’s about realizing that we can place meanings, on all happenings, that will allow us to create peace, happiness and success in our lives. It’s about letting whatever happens be ok,.

Please do not be afraid to ask questions about this. As I said, it was a tough one for me and I want those who are interested to understand it.

Next the most important thing I have learned!

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
Quote from Zeek

Next the most important thing I have learned!

I was gonna say something but I'm gonna hold my tongue.

And tell Dave to relax will ya, lol.

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2009, 09:58:49 PM »
real men dont need to shoot straights
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:20:15 PM by zeek mullins »

« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »
hahahahahaha

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »
real men dont need to shoot straights

But they do anyway ,,,,,,  because THEY CAN....

Brings a new meaning to the term "Straight-shootin' Son-of-a-Gun..."

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:38 AM »
Iron men don't let them shoot straights,,, ;)

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »
Real men "Favor no hole"

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
The last few posts are about an inside joke. Doesnt anyone have a question about personal responsibility?

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:16 PM »
I want to hear everything you have to say as this has been a great thread in helping me. Personal responsibility, is that about being honest with yourself or something else?