Foosball.com Forums

to old to foos

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
to old to foos
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
Wow the Mi states may be a eye opener, I never felt so bummed in my life, I lost in R doubles real quick, lost in A doubles real quick, pro dubs real quick ,I walked away from both looser brackets in two singles events I had enough couldnt pull it together at all. I never gave up in my life I played as hard as I could in doubles I didnt want to give up on my partners. but the feeling of I cant block anything even from bad shots was to much.I dont know if I will play anymore tournys or not ..
any of you guys ever felt like this was it Im done.

Im not knocking anyone who beat me they played better..

Re: to old to foos
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:29 AM »
A few times, since coming back to the game, I've had to honestly look at myself and my game and ask if I really could get back to where I was when I was younger. It's been about 3 years back to the game now and I feel I'm beginning to close in on where I want to be. But oh have I gotten schooled along the way, and yes, I have felt the way you do. I'm 55 almost 56 and have to admit snatching up loose balls is a whole bunch harder than it used to be. These kids now days all seem so good and the style of play is so standardized that if you lack any of the skills at all you get killed. As a young player I was able to put people back on their heels with "in your face" automatic shots from everywhere and would seek out the best players anywhere I went. I actually had to ask my wife what it was that I did then to be so dominate as now-a-days I never felt that way. With enough practice the old feel started coming back and then I started having limited success against some local "ranked" players. I then realized that my biggest problem was I wasn't executing what I practiced at home but rather played according to who was cross the table. I don't know your situation or age but I do know I love this game and might not ever be #1 but I still get a great deal of fun and satisfaction from it. You have to be honest with yourself and take a real hard look at what you need to work on. Then bite the bullet and do it. Take one facet of the game at a time, not all at once and really pay your dues. If you want to play different you have to practice different. If you love this game then don't give up, just give yourself a break and relax. The game is about having fun. Practice your special play and make others deal with it. I hope this helps.

Offline Tyler Foos

• JacksonvilleTableSoccer.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
Steve,

I don't know your playing history, if this was your first big event in a while or first ever, etc. but I can certainly relate to your frustration. The fact that you even posted your results tells me you are motivated to improve your game, so regardless of the background info, GOOD FOR YOU! That feeling of frustration and inability to adapt sets the stage for an eagerness to learn and to acknowledge the fact that foosball has a very steep learning curve. Regular play at the local level gets you ready for state competition level, then regional and up to national. The tougher the competition, the more opportunity to learn, especially from the guy that was on the other side of the table. Ask him 'Were my holes that obvious? Were my fakes that predictable? Was my timing easy to predict?' The best time to learn what to practice is right after that weakness being exposed. Then practice and play with specific objectives in mind. The coolest part about foosball is all the adjustments, options and momentum swings that occur while competing, and that first run of 3 points in a row (even if you lose) is a very real start to getting to where you realistically want to be. Avoiding a repeat of the humbling scenario you described above won't happen by fixing everything at once, but taking those 1-2 most obvious 'need to fix' issues and work on them, then see where that leads you, rinse and repeat!

Thanks for sharing your experience...........................Tyler

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »
steve,
how old are you and what is your playing background...did you play younger and then have a long lay off and you are recently playing again (within a year or so)?  it is easy to mis evaluate yourself regardless of your background but especially if you have anything like this story

there are a number of us here with this type of background...i played 74ish to 81ish and got really good in some ways and had a period of time where i practiced 6 to 8 hours a day by myself on top of 6 plus hours with my friends...i never realized my potential but had reason to believe i could have been a top player I won't bore you with the details

i then got married and busy with life and didn't play for nearly 25 years...i discovered 5 years ago the game continued and names i knew in the game were still playing...i saw video of best players and thought i could get to that level pretty fast...i was so rusty a ball would pass by my rod and 2 seconds later i would reach out to grab it

bottom line is, after a rough and eye opening beginning and practicing like crazy (compared to anyone i know) my game is now better in everyway it could be from when i was young...i am better by a long shot and know so much more than I did then except in two ways…my lateral speed is not as good and never will be and I can not repeat strokes and passes with the same consistency…the second of these is most impactful

anyway, I just turned 53 and I am as good or better than anyone in my area except Joe Rhodes – I am still improving

how much longer can I go before my game starts a serious decline I can’t say…I am already amazed at how long people can play at the top levels, look at Gummy and Todd both a couple years behind me but still they are top world class level

I can guarantee you are not to slow to block…if you were getting ripped up it is more about the defenses you were using…defense isn’t about speed, its about position and strategy…doesn’t hurt to have speed but it is not the answer and if you think it is, that is evidence that you are most likely not losing because of your age

Anyway, yea, I have felt the way you describe but I am into the game, love developing and have fun with friends all of which are new since foosball began….keep at it and get someone you know who is real good to honestly evaluate where your game is at and then get at making changes, they won’t happen through hope, you need to work at making your game better

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:31:38 PM »
You guys hit the nail on the head Im turning 53 this year played 75 to 80 went to all the big tournys did pretty good , started playing again about 2 or 3 years ago again and 50 lbs extra to lug around..I have given my self a begginer lable because of my tourny results in loacal events most times 3 place or out in 2 and I know I can do way better.it just goes wrong so I hope to get more table with a local pro Mi pullkicker thanks for your input..

Offline Tyler Foos

• JacksonvilleTableSoccer.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:37:28 PM »
Steve and Tuna,

OK, this is getting really creepy. I too just turned 53 and have a similar 'played for a while, quit for a while, recently got back into it' story. So how about you, OM? Tell me you're 53 also - we could start a geriatric league! LOL

Take care, gents.....................................Tyler

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:02:25 PM »
OM is in the same category and so is Wildcard if I remember right...I have gotten to watch OM from start up after the long layoff and have watched his progress and of course i have my own story and also i have seen plenty of others

even big names like Mike Bowers after a long lay-off, find it hard to get back to their original game

i think Todd and Gummy are the exception because they never had the long lay-off

as i discussed with OM early on, it is easy to overestimate your skills and capabilities when you are coming back because people are prone to the American Idol syndorm...this is where people think they can sing, i mean really think they are good, and when the audition it is the worst thing you have ever heard...most times, they are mad at the judges for not seeing their special gift

it has long baffled me how people can be so far off but it happens in every game and sport I have ever been a part of and it takes real mental toughness and honestly to evaluate where you are really at...it helps if you have someone who is good, who you know knows, and who will tell you HONESTLY where you are at...if not, you have to do the evaluation all yourself and it is very hard

I can tell you that if you have only been back a couple of years and you haven’t put any real practice time in that you will not have made much progress…for me to get where I am, it has taken me practicing every day trying to get in 1-2 hours, more if possible

I can’t do more because I am way to heavy and my feet give out but if I was 150 pounds lighter, I would be putting in 3 to 4 hours a day and more on weekends…it all depends on how good you want to be…even though I am certain now given my age and weight that I can not get to top PM level, I am certain that I can get to the top of every other level if I could find the resources to go to 10 or more tournaments a year for a couple years

You have to decide what you want out of your game and don’t make goals you can not or will not fulfill…do you have a table, how much do you practice, what kinds of things do you do, who are the people you play with most, do you have anyone teaching you especially defense?

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
My target is top 5 in michigan,most players around are forwards, I do read a lot from icemans posts  ;D

I realy need a table that I can play on everyday .Its funny because I cant wait to do it all over again. :-X >:(

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:29:38 PM »
Tyler, I got you by 3 years lol. I'll be 56 in May. Steve, if I find someone is "playing" me in drawing me off on my defense, I will go to looking at my men rather than their men. I then pay attention to going as random and unpredictable as possible. I watch what holes are exposed and try to "play the guy I'm facing. I watch some of the better players and come up with battle plans for when I face them. I'll let them see their favorite hole and then take it away and let them wait for it, by the time they realize it's not going to show they don't have much time to shoot and often make a half committed shot or I might tease them with a peak about that time, games. Make them react to you, not you to them. And yes, you need a table,,,
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:31:17 PM by Old Meister »

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »
you are just a weekly guy like in a bowling league if you don't have your own table...you can progress without one but it takes at least 4 times longer to get the same results...you need to make getting a table a priority...you are already old  :P and you aren't getting younger...to get to the top 5 in MI is quite goal and if you aren't putting in at least 1 hour a day (more if you want it in less than 4 years), you aren't going to make it before your physical capabilities diminish

the time is now and you need to get after it...here is a little reminder

GATHER your foosballs while you may,
    Old time is still a-flying :
And this same push side roller that smiles to-day
    To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
    The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
    And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
    When youth and blood are warmer ;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
    Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
    And while ye may go play foos:
For having lost but once your prime
    You may for ever tarry.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
on Defense:

Ice is a good resource but it is much too narrow and you need to get someone in MI who is a good goalie to talk to you and work with you

goalie is about position and nerve...you want to get in the shooters head, make them have to consider timing, the hole, your men, his ball, stance anything that makes them think...read the post started by OM that Zeek writes on the mental side of the game...in there it is about shooting/playing without thinking and letting the natural you do what it knows how to do...as a defender, if you can make the offensive player "think" about anything at all, you are taking them away from the natural state

if you can make a person wonder or think you can make them mis-execute either timing or the shot

defense is about positioning your men in ways that make holes appear to not be there or to be smaller or to be some place else...defense is about showing one thing in the first 4-6 seconds when they are setting up and then changing to something else...this makes them start to prepare mentally for one thing and then have to change the progression

you are a magician and it is your job to make things look different by positioning your men, angles of the feet different movements of one rod and then the other...working in concert but being able to be totally independent if needed

be able to work your defense from the inside out, the outside in, and the middle out…reverse and standard defense

its about changing timing so that you are in different places for randomly different times
its about changing patterns or preferably not having patterns
its about identifying shooters preferences and taking those things away
its about being where you want to be when a person shoots and not racing them to a hole (unless you plan to want to do that…just don’t make that the primary defense)
learn to spend more time in the hole you want to block than you spend out of it
play percentages and zones and make a person have to hit a perfect shot..if you do that, you can do the next important thing which is to defend as little of the goal as possible
plan ahead, give something you intend to take away later
if you have a defensive series that is working, try another series this will give them something else to think about and if it works you have another weapon and if it doesn’t you can reintroduce the working series or try another and learn to use what parts do work

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
Greetings Seen Years,   A thread for the aged.  Tale of the tape; I'll be 62 next month & weigh 30 lbs more than my fighting weight of yester year.  Hope to have a decent game by age 70 & beyond, God willing.  Here's my 2 cents:
Back in 1970,71,72 (starting age early 20s) had alot of tournament success in Virginia Beach on Rene Pierre. Loved to play for fun & profit, now I love to play. Got a Bonzini (great table) from my friend Alan Cribbs in late 2008, after about a 35 year lay-off due to college,marriage,kids,career. The Foos addiction (a positive thing like exercise) was doing pushups while I abstained. Last year I attended a Tornado,Warrior & Bonzini tournament.  Mr. Steve, I feel your pain.  Nostalgia is not what it used to be. Today's dedicated players are skillful & smart. Now living near Chicago, I practice on Bonzini,  & when I play on it's Tornado.  Frankly, I usually lose games but I don't lose heart.  Here is what keeps me in the game;  
-I never SAY (self talk) " I'll never be as good as I once was" because it may trend toward self-fulfilling prophesy.
-I have fun & whatever happens is OK,because it has to be.
-Progress not perfection,eg,If someone usually beats me 5 to 1or2, I count a loss of 5 to 3or4 the desired direction.
-Practice, play,repeat.
-I stop the foosball if it is bedtime or I need a nap, or if I need to change my diaper( I like depends ).

Hope this helps.  Tyler if you venture north we could french style foos fest. Long live foosball.  In 40 years I have gone from having groupies to being a groupie.  Acceptance is the key.   PEACE, John

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
Yes there are so many things I use to remember to do but forget till its to late . I remember playing with just let it happen, like a archer holding his shot until it just releases by it self no thought to screw it up its funny these things I know but forget to use, sometimes a reminder is needed.

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Its past my bed time have to take my meds now lol true

peace out

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
just saying your too old for foos is the wrong attitude , i dont even think about it , also its best to try to be in shape ,so you feel great ,have energy, dont lug any extra pounds around, it helps in singles to be quick ;) ,im getting close to "senior events"-land ,so i want to be in top form to defy the aging process, good luck in your foos endevors
-Ben