Foosball.com Forums

to old to foos

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: to old to foos
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
well ben, you are in good shape especially if you are anywhere near the 50 mark...yea, carrying around a few extra pounds is definately a negative in many ways and carrying as much extra as I do is near crippling but no one can fix that excpt me

keep it up ben, you are a great example for many reasons and the door is open waiting for you to step through and join the old guys...in the mean time, keep rippin em up, I can tell you for sure, your game can get much better if you want it too...not because it isn't good, but because you haven't tapped your full potential yet and you are still young enough to grow

foos on old dudes

Offline foosdragon

• Foos it and shut up
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »
I think the biggest hinderance to reaction time is our eyes. We all fight it, but once 40 hits, the eyes don't focus as fast. Glasses or contacts help, but then bifocals come into the picture (I was sure I was right on the ball). When I played in a tourney last month for the first time since TS days, I was thoroughly embarassed. I couldn't stop dookie. I will continue to play, but I think tournaments are in my rear view. Life's too short. Let the next generation take the reigns and enjoy watching them do it. I just hope foosball can return to the level it enjoyed back in the 70's.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 07:40:19 AM »
Ah, talking bifocals and focusing, boy isn't that the truth. I keep missing grabs on the ball at the goalie end when I play singles. I then realized that the image jumped from one lens facet to another. I've considered getting a pair of glasses with just the intermediate focus and might yet. I've thought that I should start a thread about each of us telling our foosball story. Our beginning and heyday to the present. I find for myself it has always been frustrating due to being  too far away from the action. Now my kids are raised and I get more "me" time and I think it is a good fit to try to recapture some of those dreams that the death of TS took away from me. I imagine each of us has their story and by reading them we might come to realize what a boomer brotherhood we have in foosball. The older I get the better I was,,, ;D

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 08:52:45 AM »
!n the mid 70s I learned I needed reading glasses.  The Optomatrist said look through them for objects within arms lenght & over them (half glasses) for all objects further.  Fine for years until back to foos. Solution: 9 months ago got soft contacts concentric rings Multifocal.  Fantasmic!

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »
Now living near Chicago, I practice on Bonzini,  & when I play on it's Tornado.   PEACE, John

John do you play at Q's every other Friday???
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:59:31 PM by jinhopark »

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
Quote from: jkhFoos
Back in 1970,71,72 (starting age early 20s) had alot of tournament success in Virginia Beach on Rene Pierre.

That might be a little bit of an understatement.  I think you are being a bit modest.   And I would venture that most of todays players have no idea who you are, or are they aware of the success you had playing foosball back in '70, '71 nad '72 (not to mention the cool prizes  8)  ).

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »
I dont think being in top shape is a big factor now days I am sure it would help for lots or reasons, but look at a lot of the top players today .. belive me I rather be a skinny guy. I played in the mid to late 70 and quite I didnt like the other tables my big win was 1978 novice doubles in 78 buff. Ny. Im not sure who John is either ?

Offline pinalyzer

• Practice safe foosing & always wear a Knee brace
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »
Foosball needs coaches.  When we all get older we can look forward to becoming coaches etc... Oh wait we are just not formally LOL

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »
Steve,  I'm always fighting the battle of the bulge.  I think fitness matters to a greater or lesser degree, per person, like any sport.
Jin, my last name is Hayes & I live in Wheaton.  The DYPs at Q are 2nd & 4th Fridays. Haven't been lately due to working alot.  FYI: April has 5 Fridays, therefore a BYP (4-30). I'm teamed up with Tony Pyto. I will look forward to meeting you sometime. I've learned alot of what I should be doing in modern foos from my friend Chase (Mindset Foosball). Please let me know if you ever want to play Bonzini.
Pat,yes, Singles first place was a '71 Honda 125SL dirt bike.  Lots of summer fun.  My greatest thrill was Singles first place '72 Dodge Dart Demon (red) slant 6,  3 on the tree. I think it was the first car as a foos prize (atleast in the US)- many & better have been awarded since.
Drove it all over the country, East to west coast north & south.had it til '81. In '71 Paul Nipper & I won first in doubles.  In '72 Tom Baker & I won first in doubles.  Those were the best shared feelings of accomplishment I ever experienced. Well Pat, you & team USA know that feeling big time & recently!
 OK folks, time to check the paper for tomorrow's Early Bird Specials.       John

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
I think we should form our own over the hill crew we could have a speical shirt or hat so people would know they just lost to a old man from the group. we would need a cool name.. any ideas

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
Steve,Usually I'm not very creative with names. Ofcourse the most common slur is old farts.  Makes no sense because personally most gaseous emmisions are new but perhaps that's just me.  Seriously though, I DO hope as time goes on there might be more age sub-divisions beyond over 50=Senior. Ben I think you're close.  Way to go & thanks for your work on schedules. Imagine an over 80 division(It's done in Tennis-why not?except perhaps lack of interest).  Think of the promo if Versus or ESPN showed it. The "ball moves too fast to see" problem for TV could be solved.  If millions watched Olympic Curling, at least some might tune in for over the 90 foosball championships.    ;D

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »
Boomerfoos!

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
I like it.  You've been boomed.  OM I took alot of notes from your comments (& tuna's too) on the Mental thread. I'll probably bump that topic someday.  Love Sports Psychology. Time for Metamucil.  Gotta go... make that foos ya later.

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »
My target is top 5 in michigan,most players around are forwards, I do read a lot from icemans posts  ;D

I realy need a table that I can play on everyday .Its funny because I cant wait to do it all over again. :-X >:(

I took 17 years off and it has been a rough road for me also.   Warrior is harder to play goalie on period, so I would think you were at somewhat a disadvantage.  Buy a table and put the time in, talk to successful people and watch them practice.  Learn to shoot a whir-lee bird because it will help you learn to block it. It is the little subtle things that make the difference.  Success will come as brains and trickery are the great equalizer to youth and enthusiasm.

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
almost the same story here, but i'm 52. tho i never played in sanctioned events i played with a few tournament players in the 70's. hung out at some of the same arcades as loffredo and jackson,specifically the brickyard in aurora,co. still remember the day we walked in and the proprieter frank told us that todd and gil took nationals and gil and sharon took 3rd in mixed doubles. anyway i went off on one of those state mandated vacations and when i came back to town around 82 the scene was totally different. i was ready to play(or so i thought) but all the drug infested, blaring rock arcades full of nothing but foos tables and pinballl machines were gone. now the only tables around were in bowling alleys,pool halls, maybe one at the video arcade at the mall with screaming kids running about. so my bud was all excited tellin me about this new dynamo table and this new shot that couldn't be stopped. well he was right. i couldn't stop it and it pissed me off, especially when his girlfriend started smokin me with it. i hated it. wide-ass goals,how can you not miss? freakin hollow rods. i already switched from hollow to solid rods when TS came around and i liked it better so why go back? and those hard wooden handles just did not feel right, so i was foul on foos for awhile. went to community college and married around 89 and found and old DM in the gameroom there and played casually,then found one in the newspaper,played on it til i burned out cuz i really had noone to play that i couldn't smoke. moved in 93 and left it behind. meanwhile the years go by faster,the kid graduates in 97, God calls the missus home in 03,then last year while in a drunken haze(rare nowadays) on 100proof absinthe my buddy says hey there havin a foos tourney at the local small town bar. i get a lucky draw and win the money. i had a blast but realized how many things i couldn't do anymore so i came on here looking for the answers, found bb's buyers guide(thanks!) and the rest is history. i don't expect to be the best by any means, i just wanted to be able to play again without having to hang my head and be laughed out the door. my first dallas dyp i had to defend brendan moreland. sure we got beat but we didn't get skunked and i didn't get stuffed so hopefully it can only get better. damn am i writin a book here,lol.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:13:08 PM by mudfarmer »