Foosball.com Forums

Just got a used Harvard and would like to improve it...

Just got a used Harvard and would like to improve it...
« on: June 03, 2010, 04:57:12 AM »
I'm looking at getting new men because it came with one different man for each color. Right now I have them in the middle where there is 5 men. I don't know how to tell if bearings need replaced or have been used hard. My mother-in-law bought it for me so any money I put into it, is coming out of my pocket. Nice not to pay for something and then put money into it. LOL I also need to learn how to play the right way.

1. I have the men facing left. (I think is wrong)
2. The foam or whatever bumper pads seem to be in great shape.
3. Would like to get everything I need (balls (couple different kinds),men, rods, bearings, and so on.)

I did read this:
Spare Parts…what should you have on hand.
•   2 or 3 each color man, when you get down to 1, reorder
•   15-20 roll pins, when you get to 5, reorder
•   4 bumpers, when  you get down to 1, reorder
•   1 split bearing halves – these don’t go bad almost ever, so one should take care of you for a long time…reorder when you use it

What is some good stuff to buy and where to buy it?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:59:58 AM by skip »

Offline GeneT

Re: Just got a used Harvard and would like to improve it...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
Well , I am not to sure the Harvard will help you become a good foosball player, but it will get you started.  Read the rules, it will help alot, most people are using ITSF rules, http://www.table-soccer.org/rules/  .    First thing to learn is to set the ball by the middle man on the 5 rod,  touch 2 men, then pass to the 3 rod, catch it and set up for a shot.  If you can do this, you are on your way.     If you decide to that you like the game, look into getting a used Tornado table, or a new Xfoos or Fireball table.  These are the tables you will play on most in tourneys.   As for parts, I would just look up venders on the net,   not sure if anyone deals with Harvard tables on here.   

What area are you from?  Probably be easyer to go out and meet other foosball players in your area.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:09:28 PM by GeneT »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
i am glad you are interested in foos and wish you well...Harvard's are not good tables and will not be a good source for learning to play the right way as you have noted

don't know how much you have into it but I wouldn't put any more money into the table...sell it and buy the right kind of table to begin with, the ones tournaments are played on, then lots of us on here can help you with the best things to do and what to learn first

men should face the goal they are trying to score in...harvard parts should be available online just google harvard foosball parts

that list you put down there I wrote for a Tornado coin op and I can't say what you should have for a Harvard, diff table, built dif, has dif needs and although i have played on a few, they were so terrible, I wouldn't spend even a minute trying to figure out what they need...I apologize, i know i am throwing cold water on your excitement and that is rude but I want you to know the truth...its great you have a fever for the game and I want to do what i can to keep you pumped up but the table has to go

what part of the country do you live in, lets see if there is a local foosball scene near by so you can connect up with other crazies

what table to buy...look at this thread...

http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.0

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:23:45 PM by bbtuna »

Offline wildcard

• Bing-Bing-BING-G-G-G-G! Ricochet Rabbit!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:13:12 AM »
In a nutshell

The only way to improve your Harvard is to cut it into little pieces and burn it in your firepit, maybe some hot dogs and marshmallows on the side...

Sorry to be so blunt, but your best bet is to start saving your change for an old brown marble tornado, that's your best table to start learning on.