Foosball.com Forums

Storm II - Tight Rod Bearing

Storm II - Tight Rod Bearing
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

Been browsing a while as I prepped to buy a used foosball table - this is a great resource!

I am having a little trouble with the goalie rod on the used table I just bought.  It is a Tornado Storm II in really good shape - a little "musty" from being in storage, but nothing a good wipe down with alcohol couldn't resolve.  It cleaned up to like new condition (and I'm picky), with one exception...

One of the goalie rods is a bit "sticky" - but the rods are in great shape.  All the other rods operate smoothly.  I noticed the bearing "fingers" on all the other (good) rods seem to stay in place when the rod is pulled through to the opposite bumper, except on the rod I'm having trouble with.  The bearing contracts when the rod is pulled through, although not very much - it basically shrinks to the smaller diameter of the taper in the hollow rod.  With the rod on the opposite bumper and clear of this "trouble" bearing, it moves smoothly until I push it back through the bearing.

I would be more inclined to think this bearing was recently replaced and needs broken in, but also realize I may be completely off-base, especially since none of the other bearings "shrink" like that.  If they are all like that when new, I'm sure a lot of people would be complaining about it.   Is there anything I can do?

Note - Here is what I tried already:
1) To make sure it wasn't the rod sticking, I went ahead polished all the rods with "0000" steel wool and chrome polish (wiped down with alcohol).  All the others are even smoother, but no change on the suspect goalie rod.
2) I am using foosball specific silicone (1 drop per bearing, slowly worked in) - this slightly helps the condition, but it still catches and you can feel a clear resistance vs other rods.

Thanks for any advise / help!

Re: Storm II - Tight Rod Bearing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »
Hi Johnny,

I would try switching the bearings from the rod that's "sticky" to one of the other rods and determine if it is indeed the bearings.  As for best method on removing those bearings maybe someone else can chime in.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »
Switch it with a bearing that you know works.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
Thats a good idea - I just need to order pin punch and replacement pins to remove the rod in question to change out the bearing. 

Before I order all that though, anyone with snap-in bearing experience that can comment if it is normal for the bearing to contract after the rod is pulled through to the opposite bumper?