Foosball.com Forums

Non coin op, brown marble table.

Non coin op, brown marble table.
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »
Hello all,

Ive been into Foosball for about 15 years now and haven't had the chance to own a quality table.  I just found someone selling a brown marble table, looks to be non coin op.  He is asking 350, Ive read the article here stating that non coin ops are a waste of money.  I need advise, should i hold off and buy a coin op?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Non coin op, brown marble table.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:05 PM »
I'd say the split cabinet design (TP/COINOP) has a great deal of advantages, especially with heavy use, resale value, or repairing possible vandalism / damage from "hack" usage.  Cleaning the inside / ball routes, changing the playfield, repairing the MDF, and moving the cabinet all become considerations with serious long term use.  The freeplay is a bit of a hassle on the coin op, but by no means is a show stopper. 

If you are considering this table for light / home use, I would think about it yet I would be very critical about it's condition.  Carefully evaluate for the play field condition for warping or damage, the integrity of the goal post areas, mdf warping or laminate separation, nonbalance figures, and consumer thin wall rods.  These should all figure into your offer.  I would say, they are all items that could scuttle the deal given their significance to game play and repair costs.  The single cabinet design complicates big repairs, and the parts on it could be quite inferior and expensive to upgrade to current TP standards if that is where you wish to take it over time.

Given your seniority with the game, I'd say wait patiently for a split cabinet and jump on it.  Consider a TP3000 used.

FYI - My Brown early 90s brown marble coin was purchased for $450, and only needed minor repairs ($100).  I chose to upgrade most of it to T3000COIN spec ($400+) which was a bit of an expensive route to take for an older table.  I must say, I enjoyed the rework, and getting intimate with Tornado craftsmanship.  I'd say I broke even with newer used COIN tables purchased in my region (if I could actually view and purchase one before it sells), and now I have mostly new parts throughout...

Although it worked out well, I feel I took on too much risk with the purchase and spent a significant amount of time and effort getting the parts and table together.  Out of the whole project I would say two relevant things...1) the split cabinet is a very very handy feature  2) Tornado coin op is great for parts and DIY repairs... like it or not, the coin table has not changed much in 20 years which gives you some confidence when negotiating price in the used market.   I think the TP has a similar legacy but simpler mechanics inside.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
johnwallan hit on all of the major points. I would, however, say this. The table, from the photos, looks to be in excellent condition. If that is the case this would be a really nice practice table to own, split cabinet or not. I suppose this is a home model of its generation. I would offer $275 maybe settle at $300, again assuming the condition is good.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Lots of good advice. Here is one more piece: If you wait and buy a used coin-op, you will never regret it.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:12:29 AM »
Ok, guys after careful consideration and taking your advice into account, I bought it!

I managed to get the table for 250, its in great condition and they even gave me the original manual from 1988, the table is the brown marble with the large metal feet.  My understanding is the this is the pre 1988 model.  So I figured a that price is would serve a good practice table for now as suggested by come back trail.  Thank you, kgstewar, come back trail and johnwallan.  This should be good until i find a nice TP3000 :)  Now time to order some new handle grips.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:08:00 AM »
I think you did ok with that table.  I believe it is the original TP2000? so it is more "commercial" quality  than the more recent Home Models. 

I started with a Storm II then moved on to Cyclone II, followed by Blonde non-coin op and finally a pristine Grey Marble  (all GL purchases)     half the fun is searching and buying the tables!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
Outstanding purchase. You should be happy with that table. Vintage tornado quality and from the looks of things in good shape. Your game shouldn't suffer much moving to a later model tornado either.