Foosball.com Forums

Pull Shot, how is it good?

Pull Shot, how is it good?
« on: June 29, 2006, 10:09:43 PM »
So why is pull shot rivalled with the snake?  I know snake is good because it can go both ways.  I heard that pull shot is better than push shot because you have the view of the goal for the pull shot and you don't have that view for the push shot.

For a pull shot, do you always try to raise for the furthest hole (the corner closest to you as the pull shooter)?  Or do you attempt to pull then cut the ball back the opposite way.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
Re: Pull Shot, how is it good?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:13:24 PM »
Viper, I shoot a snake also BUT my pull shot is my back up when my roller is not falling for me. A pull is a more natural movement than a push shot, and no you don't always shoot for the farthest hole. A short square pull shot is lethal if it's executed with lateral speed and power. If they are stopping that IMO a long spray (which is a NOT a square shot) at the 5 hole would be my choice. The pull is right up there with the snake for the pro tour, good examples would be Johnny Horton, Fernando Rosa, Todd Loffredo, and Tom Yore. All have lighting fast pull shots that are almost unstoppable. Pick it up as your back up to the snake, trust me it's good to have in your arsenal.

Snake

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 06:46:04 PM »
So why is pull shot rivalled with the snake?  I know snake is good because it can go both ways.  I heard that pull shot is better than push shot because you have the view of the goal for the pull shot and you don't have that view for the push shot.

The backpin can go both ways too, but it sucks for most people.  What makes a shot good?
1. It should be unreadable--the opponent should not know where you are going to shoot until you are shooting.  Lots of tic-tac shots fail this (e.g. they'l do a faster tic before the shot, or the pattern of motion is different for pull-kicks vs push-kicks).  Most back-pins fail this (you have to rev up with a back and forth to hit a true straight).  Even many snakes and pulls fail this--you'll see rookie snake shooters who rock slightly on one side or the other depending on where they're going to shoot, or "rev up" before the shot, or slow the rock before shooting straight.  You'll see rookie pull shooters who flinch before the straight or don't have a smooth takeoff, or who use a different motion for a short/split attempt.
2. It should be unraceable.  If you're too slow, even if you're smooth people can just race you.
3. It should have enough options so that defenses can't take away large chunks of the goal.  For instance, if your snake always sprays severely to the push side but is pretty square to the pull side, the defense can use a leading 2-rod on the push side (standard pull defense) and they don't have to cover the whole goal.  If your pull is fast but sprays a lot, a reverse defense can cut down how far across the goal they have to go to block you.

So why is a pull better than a push?  Most importantly, it's almost impossible for most people to hit a long square on the push; the wrist motion to do it is backwards of the natural motion.  Really, any square on the push is tough, which causes most people to telegraph when they're going to hit the short split as well.

A lot of people at first have more success shooting a fast spray push, but it's the rare break (Kevin Munroe, Frank Goff, Maggie Strong, Mark Tachell, Matt Keezer) who can get it to a servicable level with a square long and a lot of options without out big tells.  And none of those are pro-masters except Maggie, and I'd say all of them have shots well worse than the best pulls out there.

In contrast, the pull shot is a lot easier to square up without awkward motions, so you can more easily get a good repertoire of square long, spray long, spray splits, squares across the goal, and straights without big tells.

For a pull shot, do you always try to raise for the furthest hole (the corner closest to you as the pull shooter)?  Or do you attempt to pull then cut the ball back the opposite way.

If you always shoot the same hole, you're going to get shut down if the goalie's not stupid.  Of course, if the goalie is stupid and insists on trying to race you, you can just bomb longs all day long.  Great fun until they start using a sane defense.

Most good players don't cut the ball back intentionally; they tend to prefer straight shots and longs to set up with, and once they've got the defense pinned with those they hit the 2-hole split or longer splits.

You can easily have a pro-level shot with no cutbacks: square long, spray long, straight, square 2-hole, a spray split to use on reverse defense, and a 3- or 4- hole split will score at a very high percentage when executed well and with good reads on the defense.

You just need enough options so the defense can't camp on anything and can't use angles to shrink the goal.

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:58:14 PM »
The pull is right up there with the snake for the pro tour, good examples would be Johnny Horton, Fernando Rosa, Todd Loffredo, and Tom Yore. All have lighting fast pull shots that are almost unstoppable. Pick it up as your back up to the snake, trust me it's good to have in your arsenal.

I'd add Adrian Zamora and Dave Gummeson to the list of guys to watch, and Tracy MacMillan for sheer execution of the long though his overall shot isn't as good as the others.

Todd back in the day had the best long, and to this day his takeoff is smooth as silk.  It's like a magic trick where you don't even realize he's started shooting before it's gone.
Horton also had a beautiful long but was always a little long happy, a little easier to block than some of the other top ones (though still one of the toughest shots to block on tour--just not quite up there with Todd/Gummy/Adrian/Tom on a good day) at times, but when he's patient and reads the straight well it becomes unstoppable.
Gummeson had the hardest shot of anyone for a long time, and reads the splits very well; just a great overall shot, that's progressed more toward a smooth launch and less brute force.
Adrian has the best read for the straight of anyone, and mixes it in with a nice long and splits.
Tom hits the straight and splits a lot, has a slightly slower long, but reads all the holes beautifully making it really tough on the goalie.
Tracy MacMillan can flat out bomb the long with explosive lateral speed, not quite as good at the inside game as some of the others on this list.
Fernando to me is a bit more prone to off-days but when he's on his is as good as anyones.  Even when he's off he'll score his share.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:48:31 PM »
Billy Pappas can also make the tin sing with a pull even though his primary shot is a roller. ;D